Unreal becomes "not responding" always after building?

I think this also comes with the question I had on why unreal is so slow.
I was following the tutorial about programming c++ on unreal website(the pawn). Everytime I tried to build and run the editor I always get “not responding” on my task manager. Like really I have to force close it.

Anyone had this before?

EDIT: Yup I keep having this issue now. If Ive waited for too long it will just say “unreal engine stops working”

This happens whenever I try to remove some part of code to see what happens. I wonder why. It doesnt show any errors at build time at all. But why does it keeps hanging. That is so annoying.

Okay so everytime I add a component on editor and change its code on VS, unreal stops responding. I have no idea why it affects the editor itself. My build doesnt show any errors at all.

This is the error shown by the editor when it stops working

MachineId:CCA8338D493250EC5C9E9E9626C7BD12
EpicAccountId:a3cd9f7f97e445e7a5edbc5bf5801a43

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

""

UE4Editor_MyProject7_7835!AMyPawn::Tick() [c:\users\bellchan\documents\unreal projects\myproject7\source\myproject7\mypawn.cpp:47]
UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::TickActor() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:670]
UE4Editor_Engine!FActorTickFunction::ExecuteTick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:105]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTickTaskSequencer::FTickFunctionTask::DoTask() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\engine\private	icktaskmanager.cpp:113]
UE4Editor_Engine!TGraphTask<FTickTaskSequencer::FTickFunctionTask>::ExecuteTask() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async	askgraphinterfaces.h:753]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasks() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async	askgraph.cpp:430]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async	askgraph.cpp:273]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskGraphImplementation::WaitUntilTasksComplete() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async	askgraph.cpp:991]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTaskGraphInterface::WaitUntilTaskCompletes() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async	askgraphinterfaces.h:192]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTickTaskSequencer::ReleaseTickGroup() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\engine\private	icktaskmanager.cpp:232]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTickTaskManager::RunTickGroup() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\engine\private	icktaskmanager.cpp:643]
UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::RunTickGroup() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:697]
UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:1181]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1339]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:366]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2359]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]

Perhaps you’ve created a pointer and tried to access it without initializing. A common example would be:

.h
UStaticMeshComponent* StaticMesh;

.cpp
(in constructor)
StaticMesh->SetActorLocation(…);

In the above example you would need to first call StaticMesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<UStaticMeshComponent>(“Static Mesh”);

So in short I recommend double checking your pointers.

Hi, Thanks for the answer. I actually check the pointer. and it was in fact being use on other function that would be called every frame I think. I remove the definition on the constructor but I cant believe that VS cant detect that. I should be better be carefull about pointer. Nevertheless shouldnt that be that VS will show some errors or the editor show an error message instead of becoming unresponsive?

Hello ,

I would suggest surrounding anything that refers to these pointers with:

if(pointer)
{
}
else
{
*print string here saying that pointer is null*
}

This will avoid problems with referencing a null pointer, as it will fail the if statement if the pointer is null.