Unreal always crash when I sculpt and painting the landscape

Hi everyone,

I have a big issue when I’m editing the landscapes when I try to sculptor when I paint… at a certain moment it crashed.

I tried to look for the texture, but continue to crush with a basic texture grid too.

I tried to create different resolution scales for the landscape, but it continues to crush.

I’ll report the message error:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

UnrealEditor_Landscape!Chaos::TImplicitObjectTransformed<float,3,1>::Raycast() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\Chaos\Public\Chaos\ImplicitObjectTransformed.h:130]
UnrealEditor_PhysicsCore!TSQVisitor<Chaos::TSphere<float,3>,Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHandle<float,3>,ChaosInterface::FRaycastHit>::Visit<0>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsCore\Private\SQAccelerator.cpp:293]
UnrealEditor_Chaos!Chaos::TAABBTree<Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHandle<float,3>,Chaos::TAABBTreeLeafArray<Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHandle<float,3>,float,1>,float,1>::QueryImp<0,Chaos::FQueryFastData,Chaos::TSpatialVisitor<Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHa() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\Chaos\Public\Chaos\AABBTree.h:747]
UnrealEditor_Chaos!Chaos::TSpatialAccelerationCollectionHelper<0,3,Chaos::TSpatialTypeTuple<Chaos::TAABBTree<Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHandle<float,3>,Chaos::TAABBTreeLeafArray<Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHandle<float,3>,float,1>,float,1>,Chaos::TBoundin() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\Chaos\Public\Chaos\SpatialAccelerationCollection.h:189]
UnrealEditor_Chaos!Chaos::TSpatialAccelerationCollection<Chaos::TAABBTree<Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHandle<float,3>,Chaos::TAABBTreeLeafArray<Chaos::TAccelerationStructureHandle<float,3>,float,1>,float,1>,Chaos::TBoundingVolume<Chaos::TAccelerationStructu() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\Chaos\Public\Chaos\SpatialAccelerationCollection.h:398]
UnrealEditor_PhysicsCore!FChaosSQAccelerator::Raycast() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsCore\Private\SQAccelerator.cpp:524]
UnrealEditor_Engine!TSceneCastCommon<TSQTraitsChaosInterface::FRaycastHit,0,0,FRaycastSQAdditionalInputs>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Collision\SceneQuery.cpp:364]
UnrealEditor_Engine!FGenericPhysicsInterface::RaycastSingle() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Collision\SceneQuery.cpp:437]
UnrealEditor_Engine!anonymous namespace'::RunTraceTask() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Collision\WorldCollisionAsync.cpp:136] UnrealEditor_Engine!TGraphTask<anonymous namespace’::FAsyncTraceTask>::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:960]
UnrealEditor_Core!<lambda_a1df8d36345249e213dfea2f6e603d11>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\Task.h:268]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::TTaskDelegate<48,bool>::TTaskDelegateImpl<<lambda_a1df8d36345249e213dfea2f6e603d11>,0>::CallAndMove() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\TaskDelegate.h:156]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FTask::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\Task.h:351]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::TryExecuteTaskFrom<&LowLevelTasks::TLocalQueueRegistry<1024>::TLocalQueue::DequeueGlobal,0>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:219]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::WorkerMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:254]
UnrealEditor_Core!UE4Function_Private::TFunctionRefCaller<<lambda_307fc9362df36c938efbf939ea95ce8f>,void __cdecl(void)>::Call() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\Function.h:548]
UnrealEditor_Core!FThreadImpl::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\Thread.cpp:65]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:146]

If anyone knows the solution I will appreciate your help.

1 Like

One of my devs is having the same issue with the latest release. Did you happen to figure out a fix?

From what I see this happens because RayCast uses objects which are already deleted. The thing is that on a Main thread LandscapeCollision is recreated so there is some time during objects are destroyed but still not removed from the physics world. On the other hand RayCast task is in a different thread, so there is a small chance it accessing these objects.
Workaround:
set RunAsyncTraceOnWorkerThread 0

1 Like