Unreal 5.8 - Control Rig Runtime Asset vs Control Rig Asset

In Unreal 5.8, when you create a control rig, eg. by right-clicking on a skeletal mesh and selecting create>control rig, it now creates a "control rig runtime asset " rather than a “control rig Blueprint” asset as it did in 5.6.
On the surface it looks pretty much the same but “control rig runtime assets” don’t seem to appear in the dropdown list for a control rig variable, making it seemingly impossible to assign in OnInitialUpdate in an animation Blueprint.

Is there a way to create a “Control Rig Blueprint” asset as per 5.6?

Alternatively, is there a way to ‘convert’ a “Control Rig Runtime Asset” into a “Control Rig Blueprint” asset?

Alternatively, is there a way to convert a “Control Rig Runtime Asset” reference into a “Control Rig” reference in blueprint?

I’ve had the same questions, I’ve got tools built for control rig blueprints that no longer work with the CR runtime assets, and would like the option to stick with CR_BPs on asset creation.

I found you can still duplicate existing CRs ported from older projects and they’ll still be CR_BPs, and I’m sure there’s a backend way of generating that asset still, but it’d be nice to have that option on the frontend.

It was a bit of a blindside too since there was nothing about this change in the release notes and the assets look the same at glance in the content browser since they’re both just labeled as Control Rig.