Unreal 5.2.1 Datasmith for Revit just....not working.

So, I am learning UE for archviz. I had my Revit model imported to UE5 via datasmith (no live-link) with all its materials and geometry.

I work on it for various days in which, I updated geometry on the Revit model and re-imported the datasmith file and worked. But there’s one time when it crashed at re-import. Never got it to work again.

In my ignorance i thought it was because all of the material and meshes that come every re-import. So I created a new file from scratch and hide a lot of geometry from the datasmith export view and also, un-checked the materials box to avoid importing a lot of unused info to the new model. This I thought, would solve the issue.

I went ahead an edited a lot of the Revit model prior to the new import and I was able to work for a week or so without problems at re-import. But now, its back again. Same problem, even with a smaller simpler model. I’ve lost 2 days trying to fix it but the more I try, the only apparent option its to crearte a new project.

I’ve tried:

• Updating geometry mesh by mesh (but I still need the new geometry I’ve created)
  • Changing view name, model categories, export tessellation, export base point, view name on Revit.
  • Import from a different file, import from a different folder, import by batch.
  • Import the same file to a new level (it works just fine)
  • Import only geometry.
  • Verify UE version
  • Re-installing Datasmith on Revit 2022

Basically everything i would be able to think as a solution, at least a normal solution, because I don’t expect this issue to need a very complex solution (code changing, code copy paste, cmd promts, etc)

As a n architect, changes on geometry occur daily and this is clearly something that is not acceptable on deadlines and clients.

The error line of the log is this:

Assertion failed: StaticMesh->AsyncTask != nullptr [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\StaticMeshCompiler.cpp] [Line: 344]

And its only showing problems on the scene I need to work, because i have other parts of the model exported from the same file into the same project and they work flawlessly.

I hope someone can point me on a fix without having to invest another week and expect this not to happen again.

Thanks guys.

Update: I mentioned…

"…And its only showing problems on the scene I need to work, because i have other parts of the model exported from the same file into the same project and they work flawlessly…"

That was true for just a couple of work sessions. Now the .datasmith file and the direct link have the same issue. So basically…

THERE’S NO WAY I CAN UPDATE MY GEOMETRY.

Is incredible how this program can handle projects that are 1000% bigger than mine and have this type of dead end. There’s no answer or solution for this. Incredible.

Have you tried removing the “Binaries”, “DerivedDataCache”, “Intermediate” and “Saved” folders from your project before starting it and trying again?

1 Like

Thank you very much for the response.

Can you guide me on how to do this?

I’m seen this “delete/refresh” some folders fixes a lot of issues.

So I would be open to try it, but I don’t want to mess up any important files.

Thanks!

Make a copy of the project just in case.

Close your project, go in windows explorer in the folder of your project.
Remove the DerivedDataCache, Intermediate and Saved folders.
If it a source project you can also remove binaries.

Then you restart your project.

Thank you very much.

Deleted all of these folders but no luck.

It crashes again with the same code. Even changing datasmith file name or new export is just the same.

Seems a UE code thing or corrupt internal process.