Unreal 4.26.2 issue with UE4Editor file kept being created in Binaries, ballooning the project size

Hi there, so I have an issue with the size of my project folder. It kept growing and growing and growing, I realize this as I am running out of space in my drive. It literally increases in size everytimeI worked on the project even though I am not adding new assets. My project now ballooned to the size of 30GB while the assets is only 3GB-ish, the culprit is the UE4Editor file in Binaries->Win64.
I tried moving the UE4Editor files and it seems to still work fine, so I dont know why this file is kept on being made. I also observe that my project crashes very oftenly, especially after compiling my code.

Does anyone know what is going on? Cause the crashes and project size is getting annoying.

Thanks.

I have experienced this and found that the engine is caching a lot of data when the auto saves occur. I believe its essentially duplicating your project numerous times and caching those files within your directories as backups.

I heard somewhere that you can reduce the number of saves as it gets to a point and discards the oldest, but sorry I cant point you to that specific thread… You may notice your file size increase and then slightly decrease a tiny bit as a result of it discarding the oldest files in the cache.

The crashes can be caused by a lot of things unfortunately. It might be having to access cached data that briefly overloads your memory and just crashes. It can be that its not liking something you’ve coded for any number of reasons… Did it just start happening after making some changes inside your code? Maybe try right clicking on your content folder and fix up redirectors if its a reference issue somewhere in the memory…

I started tinkering around with deleting stuff and found myself in a world of hurt that I DON’T suggest to anyone lol. Unless you know your way around the directories very well and know exactly what you’re deleting…

I ended up sucking it up and getting the extra storage because of this as its too dangerous to try and reduce file size by deleting things… I just let it do its thing. With a source build engine and the other programs involved with just my single project im using nearly a full TB of disk space.

That’s not including my project which is grown to almost 100GB with everything involved asset and code wise, but packages down to a small fraction of that so I know a lot of it is cached data and assets I have in the project, but are not in use in my game.

yeah, that sucks. Is this an issue everyone is handling with? I feel like from my observation the file size increases more from the crashes. Regarding what makes it crash, it’s also hard to pinpoint, I don’t believe it’s my code since after the crash and the engine restarts the code works fine again. Usually the crashes are something something calling virtual function and then accessing something something memory 0x000000. I’ll try to get a screenshot.

Thanks