Unreal 4.18.3 crashing

Hey guys, I have had this problem all day long. I use the latest version of Unreal, which is 4.18.3, and I started to work on a project today and suddenly it crashed. I don’t know how I am supposed to post the bug report but I will let it below:

[CrashReportClient]

bHideLogFilesOption=false

bIsAllowedToCloseWithoutSending=true

CrashConfigPurgeDays=2

It takes a little time to crash sometimes. Sometimes it takes a very long time and suddenly crash.
Thanks in advance.

I don’t even get to enter the project, and my engine is already down.

Start UE, get a black screen for a second (like gpu turning off for an instant), and then crash log pops.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Product Version: UE 4.18

adam_rad, do you happen to have an Oculus Rift (that is also installed, ready to go, etc)?

I do not have an Oculus Rift.

Btw, I have a Geforce 210 gpu verysadface
Could that be the reason for crashing?

That is very likely the cause. Epic recommends at least a GeForce GTX 470 (or AMD equivalent that supports DirectX 11). I don’t know what the hard minimum is (it would likely be tied to some version of DirectX/OpenGL). One post on this forum suggests you’ll need at least a DX 10 card, but I don’t know if that’s an accurate answer but it’s likely correct.

I take it you are on a tight budget? If you are serious or very curious about making games and/or programming, I highly recommend you do whatever you need to do so that you can save up a few hundred bucks and buy a whole new (used) computer. It sounds like you could benefit from one anyway! Good luck!

I tried working with Unity (works with my hardware), then I saw the advantages of UE and I wanted to switch. Obviously UE requires better hardware than Unity

I could probably use an upgrade:
Geforce 210 2gb ddr3
Xeon E5430 Quad 2.66 Ghz 12mb l2 cache
4 gb of ram ddr3
SSD 120 Gb

The way I see it, you basically have two paths you can go down: upgrade just the graphics card or get a whole different computer (used or new).

If you are just wanting to get your feet wet and wish to take the absolute minimal approach, I think just the graphics card upgrade will do. For a tad more cash you could take it a step further and upgrade the RAM, at which point you’d have a fairly decent machine to develop and test on (and that of course assumes you have a clean, optimized instance of Windows 10 running). More often than not your CPU would then become the bottleneck, but when you’re just starting out there’s so much you can do and learn without having to run CPU-intensive code (like spawning thousands of actors in your scene, which can be fun to play with, but not necessary when still just learning the ropes!)

Yes, I think I would benefit the most from a graphics card upgrade, perhaps some dirt cheap Radeon to at least run UE.

I built this pc when I only had in mind Python programming and surfing the web, that’s why I was so modest when I chose to buy used server processor xD

Thank you for your advice Robert!