Unpacking Packed Level Actor Blueprint

I was organizing and getting rid of duplicate blueprints and maps from my packed level actor, however I was a bit careless and ended up deleting the level that was associated with a blueprint I’ve worked on.

The blueprint itself is still present and works fine, and I can still apply it to other levels. If I go into edit mode however, there is nothing present.

I haven’t had the time to look into it yet, but is there a way to “unpack” the blueprint to separate/recover its static meshes to recreate a packed level actor, or am I better off starting over from scratch?

Peace Pika,

I know this post is old but in case anyone else having this issue I’ll post what I found here.

Using UE 5.2.1,

1. if you delete a level associated with a packed level blueprint you’ll still be able to place it in the world as-is, but neither unpacking nor edit will work (edit button will be disabled)
  2. if a level with the same name in the same folder as the original that was associated with packed level exists but is empty (no assets in it), edit mode on the instances will be enabled but there will be no assets to edit and commiting changes will do nothing.
  3. if a level with the same name in the same folder as the original that was associated with packed level exists, and has the same assets in the same quantities, all normal functions will be restored, however when clicking edit on an instance the assets will have the transforms as in the level and not as in the blueprint and commiting changes here will apply the transforms as in the level.

So in conclusion, if you didn’t use the BP in many places it might be better to start off from scratch, but if you did place it in many places and don’t want to re-position everything, you can make sure there’s a level with the exact name and folder location as original, and re-add and re-position the same assets in that level.