University Base: Alpha Centauri (Cinematic Short Film)

In the 21st century, situation takes a turn for the worse. Civilization is crumbling, the Earth is dying. In 2060, United Nations sends a colony ship - U.N.S. Unity - to a newly discovered planet orbiting Alpha Centauri’s primary star.

Among the small group of colonists to leave the ravages of Earth is Prokhor Zakharov, a brilliant scientist desperate to flee the chaos of his motherworld to start anew beneath an alien sky.

This is his story.

Hi everyone!

A huge fan of Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri game, I’ve made this short film to celebrate its 25th anniversary.

It was done entirely in my gradually diminishing free time :slight_smile: I hope you’ll enjoy the film (and if you’re a fan of Civilization/Alpha Centauri games, have a field day catching the references) :wink:

The film was rendered in Unreal Engine 5 and Blender’s Cycles. Characters were custom made, then turned into MetaHumans for further customization, animation and rendering. Animation is a mix of motion capture, performance capture, and keyframe animation.

I have done all of the layout, lighting, compositing, and animation work, as well as majority of the modeling.

Here’s a couple of screens, for more, there’s this ArtStation post:

3 Likes

Hi there @Ratimir,

Hope you’re well and having a great week so far :slight_smile: Welcome to the Unreal Engine forums!

Wow. The facial animation and world building in this are just so incredibly well done. Every element of this project just screams “polished and unique” to me. I definitely can’t say I’ve ever experienced dinosaurs and astronauts in the same video but it all combined really well. Beautifully done :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much, @PresumptivePanda!

Dinosaurs are awesome, and astronauts are awesome, so what could be more awesome than combining them in a 2001-esque time-jump cut?! That’s basically me channeling my 15-year old self from the turn of the century :smiley:

I had so much fun making this, obviously :wink:

1 Like

I can totally tell :slight_smile: It feels fun to watch, which takes loads of talent to pull off. Glad I got to experience it for sure :smiley:

1 Like