Unit Selection Display

Hey guys!

I couldn’t think of an appropriate thread title so I’ll just show a screenshot from a game of what I’d like to achieve (or at least similar in mechanics).

71be031bce84b0e5c382524091cd283f43774f08.jpeg

I have blueprints already set up that allow me to either right-click to select an asset directly in front of the player or to press ‘T’ to toggle through all selectable units within a certain range. That works fine. What I would like to add however is the little bit in the bottom-right of the provided screenshot that displays a view of the selected asset. I assume it will involve an additional camera and the HUD, but I’m not quite sure where to start.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? The last thing I’d ask for is for someone to do the work for me, but some blueprint type’s, node names, those kinda things to set me on the right track would be much appreciated!

Also: If anyone would like to see how I did my selection blueprints I’m more than happy to provide details. Here is a video of my current work in action: https://youtu.be/jyBLa1TgCxs

You could do it with another camera where that camera renders to a render target and then use that texture in the HUD.
Another simple way would be to just parent an actor to the camera and change the mesh when a new unit is selected.

You can search for minimap tutorials, most of them work by rendering a camera’s view to a texture in the UI. A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums