Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

UnrealEditor_VolumeRuntime
UnrealEditor_VolumeRuntime
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Hey folks! I am build a project that has a client and sever running at the same time. I am getting this error sometime when the server is trying to load the streaming level on the client side(A level that needs to compile a lot of shaders). Do you guys know what is the cause and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!!!

Hey @dorisgao!

So 0xffffffffffffffff usually means Graphics driver/RAM. What’s your dedicated VRAM and standard RAM look like? If you’re trying to load two separate scenes on something without enough RAM to go around it’ll throw this, for sure, but also it could mean you need to update your graphics driver.

Hey, thanks for your quick reply. Here is a screenshot of my VRAM. I am launching a level that contains a lot of shaders that need to be compiled. It never has the issue in the editor, mostly the crash occurs in standalone games and packaged build(saying fatal error).
Screenshot 2023-10-25 153510

Here are some more detailed crash report!
I just updated my graphic driver yesterday.

LogWindows: Failed to load ‘aqProf.dll’ (GetLastError=0)
LogWindows: File ‘aqProf.dll’ does not exist
LogProfilingDebugging: Loading WinPixEventRuntime.dll for PIX profiling (from …/…/…/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/Windows/WinPixEventRuntime/x64).
LogWindows: Failed to load ‘VtuneApi.dll’ (GetLastError=0)
LogWindows: File ‘VtuneApi.dll’ does not exist
LogWindows: Failed to load ‘VtuneApi32e.dll’ (GetLastError=0)
LogWindows: File ‘VtuneApi32e.dll’ does not exist
LogWindows: Started CrashReportClient (pid=24912)

When you’re saying you have shaders that need to be compiled… You mean you haven’t let the shaders compile and cooked everything before build? You can’t do thaaaat! :stuck_out_tongue: You gotta be patient and let them compile and cook them before building!

Anyways…

There are a lot of threads on the forums about those missing .dll’s… which will cause crashes. Here’s a thread of one such group of people attempting fixes- see if any of their discovered fixes work for you!

I had the exactly same issue. In my case, I figured out it was caused by Local Height Fog actor. When removed, error dissapeared.

2 Likes