Unending Crashes

Every time I try to either compile Blueprints or add a breakpoint and have it hit, there’s a better than even chance that the entire editor will crash.

It’s just been constant unending crashes for the last two days. I try restarting frequently, but it doesn’t really seem to help.

I don’t know what to give in terms of details really. It always seems to happen either on Compile, which is 1 in 5, or hitting a breakpoint, which is almost 1 for 1. I’m using the Third Person template, and adding stuff to it. I’m using only Blueprints so far.

It’s very difficult to debug (I have to put print strings everywhere because I can’t break or step code) and it’s very frustrating to try to use.

Any idea what I can do about this?

Okay so it looks like it might have caused by trying to use TFS Local Workspaces as a form of source control. I removed the folder from the workspace (i.e. made it uncontrolled) and the crashes seem to have stopped. If it crashes more again tomorrow I’ll post again. But it’s such a steep drop in number (from constant to just 1) that I suspect that might somehow be it. In theory, the TFS explorer plugin shouldn’t be touching the files at all in this mode, but “shouldn’t” and “isn’t” are sometimes only tangentially related in software.

This method worked with Unity, so I’ll be quite sad if it doesn’t work here. If anyone’s actually successfully used TFS to at least provide source backup (which is basically what’s happening in this mode) please reply, thanks.

Well, I dunno that it matters much, but it’s still crashing frequently. Not as bad as it was, but I haven’t returned to having it controlled. I guess nobody else is having problems with crashing during Blueprint compile.

Hopefully 4.5 improves stability.