Undo/Redo doesn't work after playing

After pressing the play button and stopping it you can’t CTRL+Z to undo anymore.

It is really annoying especially if you want to test something out.

Hi MrGoatsy,

This was a bug originally reported and fixed for UE4.11 (UE-27056). I’ve verified this does return for a version of UE4.12, however, I tested it in UE4.12.5 and it is fixed again.

If you haven’t already, please update to UE4.12.5 and if the issue still occurs, please post some simple repro steps in a blank template project so that we can reproduce the issue on our end. For instance, these are the steps I followed in UE4.12.5 where I was not able to reproduce the bug:

1. Open a Blank Blueprint project with no starter content in UE4.12.5
  2. Drag a generic box into the scene
  3. Drag a generic sphere into the scene
  4. Position the sphere on top of the box
  5. PIE
  6. exit PIE
  7. Press Ctrl +Z
    RESULT: Last action before PIE is undone;

Thanks,

I’m getting this bug as well in 4.12.5. I had to come online tonight and check and see if anyone else was getting this issue.

Repro steps:

1. Move an object, SM or even edit a material inst. and then undo works fine
  2. Hit play to test level layout or AI
  3. Move an item or edit level undo doesn’t work.

I was able to repro this after quiting out and engine and re-logging in it works as long as I don’t hit play.

-Mat

Note: The Undo bug only happens if you play “Simulate” and then return to the browser.

Yep, the work around just to let you know without restarting is to do a “play” session with out “alt+s” or simulate play. That will get undo to work again for the level editor. I will test this out for blueprints tonight.

The bug still occurs in UE4.12.5.

I am still unable to reproduce the reported issue following these steps (Please be specific and refer to corrections or additions to these specific steps to ensure we are all on the same page):

1. Open a blank project with no starter content in UE 4.12.5
  2. Drag a cube from the Modes panel into the viewport
  3. Move cube in any direction.
  4. Play in Editor: Simulate by either selecting this with the cursor:

101094-play.png

1. OR Simulate by pressing Alt + S
  2. Press Stop as shown (Ctrl + Z will not work while Simulation is running):

101096-stop.png

1. Press Ctrl + Z to undo last action(s) before running Play in Editor: Simulate

RESULT: Ctrl + Z performs undo as expected. 4/4 Tests

I don’t want to have to simulate and then possess everytime I want to test it, I just want to play in the selected viewport and then if I don’t like what I changed change it back with CTRL+Z.

Also, please don’t mark this as an answer, I will mark it as an answer once the issue has been resolved.

*We mark answers resolved when we cannot reproduce a reported issue for tracking purposes. If you disagree you can simply respond to reopen the issue.

We’re willing to keep working with you until the issue being reported is fully understood. Hence, please provide concise repro steps in the format listed above.

If your steps are exactly the same and you still cannot undo, there may be a hardware issue like, are you on a Mac, for instance?

I am on Windows 10.

How I replicate this issue:

• Put mesh in editor or put node in blueprint
  • Press play(not simulate)
  • Press stop
  • Press CTRL+Z
  • A red outline message in the right bottom corner where it normally says Undo: Placing node for example now only says Undo:.

Hi MrGoatsy,

I have still not been able to replicate this on a Windows 10 machine so I will need more information:

1. What version of Play in Editor or you using to test this (ie Selected Viewport,Mobile Preview, New Editor Window, or Stand Alone Game? )
  2. Can you reproduce this in a completely blank Blueprint template project with no work being done in any Blueprint including the level blueprint
  3. Are you pressing stop button or Escape to quit testing?

Please respond with this information -thanks!

1. I am pressing the Selected viewport play.
  2. It occurs randomly, sometimes I can CTRL+Z sometimes I can’t, so no, I can reproduce it.
  3. Escape

If the issue is sporadic and we can not reproduce it here then, unfortunately, we cannot address the issue. However, if you can find/create a project where this is happening consistently, you can send a link to a zipped version of the project to me in a private message on our .

I suspect it’s a combination of blueprints and mesh placement, which would be a bug we need to address.

Hi MrGoatsy,

I am closing this post for tracking purposes, however, if you can provide a project where this is consistently reproducible, we will open a bug report for this issue. -Thanks.

You need to have Run Dedicated Server checked to reproduce this.

It looks like its because

GUnrealEd->Trans->SetUndoBarrier();

is called in CreatePIEGameInstance. This can be called multiple times if you have Run Dedicated Server checked.
However EndPlay is only ever called once and it is this which calls RemoveUndoBarrier.

Removing the SetUndoBarrier call from CreatePIEGameInstance and putting it before the section of code in PlayInEditor that calls CreatePIEGameInstance seems to resolve it.

I have the same problem un UE5 Early Access - Undo shortcut not working on a Mac.
I solved it by adding additional keyboard shortcut in the preferences for undo CTRL+Z (on top of existing COMMAND+Z)