Underwater Shimmering Caustics

Hey everyone,

I’ve been having a lot of issues trying to get some effects working in my underwater scene. I’ve got some caustics working, but I’d also like to get some light shafts.

I’ve tried a number of methods, but nothing seems to be able to create the shimmering light shaft effect that I want to get.

Ideally, I’d like to do the effect seen in this video: Real-time Realistic Underwater Caustics and Godrays - YouTube

I’ve created a caustics projection as a light function, but I don’t have any light shafts. I’ve enabled them on my directional light, but I can’t figure out any method to get them to show up consistently (I don’t want to have a complicated mesh in the way) or anyway in which to get them to “shimmer.”

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Do they need to be perfectly physically accurate?

If not, you could always build a mesh out of cards which are ‘shimmered’ and waved through their vertex offset. Put a depth/angle fading opacity input in, and make them translucent, and you should be able to get a fair approximation.

They don’t need to be completely accurate. That would be nice, but the caustics themselves are particularly accurate either so I think we can fake it.

I will try your suggestion, thanks!