Unable to upgrade to 4.7.2, stuck in Verify/Download

Logs attached - it’s just really strange that 4.6.1 installs with no issues yet something about 4.7.3 doesn’t like my computer. For comparison, I checked the files in the Win32 folder for version 4.6.1 and they have the same permissions as the Win32 folder files for 4.7.3

EpicGamesLauncher4.7.3Part3

Edit: Found an user that was not added to the permissions for the Win32 folder for 4.7.3 compared to the 4.6.1 installation. Added them and provided read/write abilities. Ran verification again, received “Install Failed: The installation is corrupt.”

Ok Rumble, I’m adding this issue to our database and sending this issue to our developers for them to take a look at. I or a developer will post back with new information as soon as possible.

Hi Max,

Thanks for the update, and for forwarding this along! It is greatly appreciated! Just a small update on my end, I tried completing a fresh install of 4.7.3 again after editing the permissions for the Epic Games folder, as well as clearing all back up files in the Backup folders and anything remaining in VaultCache. Unfortunately, issue continues to persist. Please let me know if there’s anything else I may provide in the meantime.

I have same issue. Stuck on verifying 4.7.3 @90%.

Hey Macktek,

Would it be possible for you to attach your debug logs you receive when attempting to verify again? I would be interested to see if you are having similar errors in your logs as I am.

Actually, I got it working. (Could be luck?)
I removed the 4.7.3 install through the Launcher.
Then shut the Launcher down, and installed this:
EpicGamesLauncherInstaller-2.0.1-2467307
from Epic Games
And it worked.
It had failed multiple times prior to that. And I figured I would give it a try before posting the log.

I did have some weird interrupted kb/sec in the download when I clicked the update, so I did turn my firewall off during the process if that might help.

Hi Macktek,

Thanks for the update, I’ll try what you did when I get home tonight and see what happens. :slight_smile:

Hi Rumbleroar! I’m investigating your issue and have been looking through your logs

I definitely agree that the issue you are seeing is very specific; that Win32\UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.exe only

Even from the log that was generated when you deleted the whole Win32 folder, the installer managed to successfully install all of the win32 files except this one. For this reason, I don’t believe you are experiencing an issue with permissions.

My current thoughts are that the biggest clue is the part of the error “VerifyFile cannot open”. This is not a corruption, the file is missing.

From the looks of your text file listing all the Win32 files you can see, that would agree.

It’s hard to imagine that this is not some external process or setup that is making it impossible for the launcher to move that exact file.

There are no errors to suggest that the installer was unable to stage the exe file, so my current theory is an issue moving this file from the staging location, to the installation location. It’s interesting to see however that this failure is silent, as if windows told us the move was just fine when really it’s not - either that or some third party process removed the file after we moved it.

If you wouldn’t mind, I could do with some further information / experiments.

This particular file, would be staged here:-
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Launcher\PatchStaging\UE_4.7Live-Windows\Install\Engine\Binaries\Win32\UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.exe

Do you see it get created, or is it there now?

If it’s there, what happens if you manually move it to the install location where it should be, and then run the install again?

Look forward to hearing your response!

Strongly recommend re-installing any security updates that you removed :slight_smile:

Hi Swifty,

Thank you for taking the time to look in to this! Reviewing the current Win32 folder after another fresh installation attempt, the “UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.exe” file does not exist, or rather, it does not exist as a “.exe” file. Instead, the file exists exactly as this:

UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.pdb

I will go ahead and provide a link for the download of the file from Dropbox, as even after being zipped it’s just a tad too big in file size to be uploaded here. I don’t know why the file is in this format, I guess possibly from it not being fully downloaded?

UE4Game-Win32-Shipping

Hi Rumbleroar, that file is expected. Normally there will be a pdb file and an exe file, it is just the exe file you are seeing problems with. Did you manage to check the PatchStaging location too? And see if you could manually copy it over from there?

Hi Swifty,

I attempted another verification process and eventually the “UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.exe” file appeared in C:>Program Files>Epic Games>4.7>Engine>Binaries>Win32. If the file was supposed to appear in the PathStaging subfolders then I perhaps missed it? It is hard to tell exactly when the file is being downloaded. I even went back and checked the PatchStaging folder and could not see it there. I paused the verification process to see if I could move the file to Epic Games>PatchStaging>UE_4.7Live-Windows>Install>Engine>Binaries>Win32 but the file asked for Admin permission to do so, which I granted and was then denied access. I will attach the error message images below. I checked permissions for the .exe file and all users on the PC have Read/Write permissions. I even went in and checked “Run this program as an administrator” under the Compatibility tab but this did not seem to do anything. I also can’t even move the file to a zip folder or to my Desktop (and probably any other location) without being denied admin privileges.

I have kept the launcher paused at the moment in order to avoid potentially losing the file if the installation is considered corrupt again.

36616-fileaccess.jpg

So the file does appear to be placed in the C:>Program Files>Epic Games>4.7>Engine>Binaries>Win32 folder, but for some strange reason it is just being denied access privileges?

Hmm interesting. This could be a side-effect of choosing to run the Launcher as an administrator. The file is created with the identity of which the Launcher is ran, and usually we’d expect that to be your user. It seems odd though that even after saying to give access, windows still does not believe you have permission to copy. (not to mention only having issues with this exact file)

I feel like there could be other issues caused by this too, when trying to use the Editor but I could be wrong.

Have you tried temporarily disabling UAC and running the Launcher normally?

To disable UAC, you can press windows key, and type UAC, you should get the “Change User Account Control settings” option. In there you can move the slider to the bottom and hit OK. You may need to restart your PC.

Hi Swifty,

Disabled UAC as suggested and also updated the Launcher to the recent version that was apparently made available today (2.1.0-2492143). Sorry to say, but the installation ended with the same error as before. Took a peek at the log file and it still is the “UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.exe” file saying “no” to the installation. Here are the recent logs for this attempt.

EpicGamesLauncher4.7.3Part4

Hey Rumbleroar. Sorry to say but I’m out of ideas at the moment. 4.7.4 was released since, but I can’t imagine it being any different for you. I will need to try adding some more logging information to the next Launcher release to see if we can get any better data about why that file is causing issues.

In the meantime, you could try cancelling the install when at the verifying stage and you should be able to run the editor manually by opening
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe

Hi Swifty,

Thanks for your reply! I went ahead and attempted to update to 4.7.5 today and paused the client when it started the 90% Verifying phase again. Turns out I was able to open the latest version of the editor with the UE4Editor.exe file after pausing, so I will consider that a victory. I’m just happy to be in the latest version and I appreciate all the help you guys have given me!

Hi Rumblroar, I was wondering if you might try the following:

1. Download the Process Monitor application (available here Process Monitor - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn)
  2. Extract the Procmon.exe file from the .zip archive (you can put the .exe file anywhere)
  3. Extract the attached .zip file
  4. Launch Procmon.exe
  5. If a window titled “Process Monitor Filter” pops up, you can close it
  6. Click File > Import Configuration…
  7. Select the ProcmonConfiguration.pmc file you extracted in Step 3
  8. Open the Launcher and try downloading/updating UE4.7 again
  9. If/when the update fails close out of the launcher
  10. In Process Monitor, click File > Save
  11. Make sure “Events displayed using current filter” “Also include profiling
    events” and “native process monitor format (PML)” are all enabled/checked
  12. Name the file and save it to an easily accessible location
  13. Reply back and attach the Process Monitor log filelink text

Hi Pete,

I feel kind of bad for bringing this news (mainly because of all the help you guys have given me). After I managed to get UE4 4.7.5 to open via the work around by launching with the .exe file - I realized that my 5 year old computer parts at the time were probably not going to cut it (building geometry/lighting didn’t go so well). For these reasons, and due to all the other telling signs from upgrading my other software, I decided to do some upgrades to my computer parts. After these upgrades and ultimately reformatting my previous installation of Windows 7, I have now managed to get UE4 4.7.5 to install with no issues via the Epic Games Launcher.

Why would the installation not complete itself fully before? I am unable to say exactly but again, I do want to give a huge thanks to all of you for your assistance with this issue. I do hope that the advice given here may assist any further users who experience similar symptoms when installing UE4 in the future.

Cheers, and thanks again!

-Rumbleroar

Hi Rumbleroar,
We were hoping to get some more information on the nature of your issue with Pete’s steps. While it’s unfortunate you won’t be able to help us I’m glad to hear that your issue is fixed! If anyone else is experiencing this issue and none of the other issues listed in the thread fixed it, please follow the steps Pete listed and get back to us!

-Max B.