Unable to spawn instances. Ensure a large enough surface exists within the volum

So in a tiled landscape I try to create a foliage volume and attach it to the proxy. However, after creating the foliage spawner, attaching an instanced static mesh, with only the mesh set to a cube (nothing else changed), I try to simulate and get “Unable to spawn instances. Ensure a large enough surface exists within the volume”

Hi vinz243,

I’m a bit confused by your terminology. Ar eyou saying that you created the foliage volume and placed it in a sublevel? How large are the landscape tiles you are currently using? Have you tried this in a clean project with no additional content?

Ar eyou saying that you created the foliage volume and placed it in a sublevel?

In the sublevel, and even attached to the landscapeprxoy (by right-clicking, attach to, LandscapeProxy#)

How large are the landscape tiles you are currently using?

One km long. However, the foliage spawner is less than that, but at least 1 or 2 hundreds meters long.

Have you tried this in a clean project with no additional content?

Nope, though it worked on an older project with first preview. Doyou want me to try with or without world composition? BTW, here is the whole projectgit.m4xw.net/UnrealUniverse/Code

Hi vinz243,

Unfortunately our firewall will not allow me to access the link you provided, can you upload the project to a dedicated FTP server such as dropbox? I’ll be happy to take a look.

I’m sorry but the the project is already 8.7 Gb wide, which is, at 100 Kb/s, really slow. Maybe I could send you on gdrive the main things, just w/o the assets from the A Boy and his Kite, which you will then need to copy to the project?

Are all of the assets the boy and his kite assets? Are you using the same heightmap as well? If so I can just go download them.

Nope, only textures, meshes ans materials.
But I’ll try on a blank project and send it

Hi vinz243,

Were you able to get a blank project together? I’ll be happy to take a look!

Sorry I forgot to comment. So in a new blank project using tiled landscape it does work fine. So finally I deleted the level, delete the ini files under Config and reimported everything and it works! Thanks for your help anyway :slight_smile:

Hi vinz243,

I’m happy to hear this is no longer an error you are experiencing. I’m marking this as answered for tracking purposes. If the bug resurfaces, please comment and I’ll be happy to take another look.

I still have this problem and made a new topic off it because this one is so old. It’s here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/727665/cant-paint-or-spawn-foliage-on-landscape.html
Deleting everything and starting over is not an option here so I would really like to know how to get around this. I have three landscape actors in my project, on two of them I’m not able to spawn any foliage. I get this message: “unable to spawn instances. make sure a large enough surface exists within the volume”. I would really like a solution.

EDIT: some additional information: I converted two landscapes to staticmeshes just to see if that would change anything. Very interestingly the landscape I can’t place foliage on has a aprox size of 1x1x0 when exported. The other export has an aprox size of 1,579 x2,016 x 192 and I can paint and spawn foliage on that one.
So the problem is basically that the engine sees a huge landscape as something with a size of 1x1x0. Very odd.

1 Like