Unable to package game on Mac

Packaging of a project is failing on the Mac, tried multiple projects.

Create a third person blueprint project.
Go to File->Package Project->Mac

Here’s the part of the log:

MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): CommandUtils.Run: Run: mono “/Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.8/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe” PKGTest Mac Development “/Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/PKGTest.uproject” -noxge -generatemanifest -rocket -nocreatestub -NoHotReloadFromIDE
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: Compiling with Mac SDK 10.9
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 1.409222s to run mono, ExitCode=0
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists /Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/Intermediate/Build/Manifest.xml=True
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): InternalUtils.SafeCopyFile: SafeCopyFile /Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/Intermediate/Build/Manifest.xml /Users/mark/Library//Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/UBTManifest.9.xml
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): UE4Build.PrepareManifest: Copied UBT manifest to /Users/mark/Library//Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/UBTManifest.9.xml
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.8/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe=True
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): CommandUtils.Run: Run: mono “/Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.8/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe” PKGTest Mac Development “/Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/PKGTest.uproject” -noxge -rocket -nocreatestub -NoHotReloadFromIDE -ignorejunk
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: Compiling with Mac SDK 10.9
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: Performing 6 actions (8 in parallel)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: [1/6] Compile UELinkerFixupsName.h
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: [2/6] Compile UELinkerFixups.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: [3/6] Link PKGTest
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: “_voucher_mach_msg_set”, referenced from:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: _mach_exception_raise in libCrashReporter-MacOSX-Static.a(libCrashReporter-MacOSX-Static.a-x86_64-master.o)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: _mach_exception_raise_state in libCrashReporter-MacOSX-Static.a(libCrashReporter-MacOSX-Static.a-x86_64-master.o)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: _mach_exception_raise_state_identity in libCrashReporter-MacOSX-Static.a(libCrashReporter-MacOSX-Static.a-x86_64-master.o)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: error: /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can’t open file: /Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/Binaries/Mac/PKGTest.app/Contents/MacOS/PKGTest (No such file or directory)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: error: /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can’t open file: /Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/Binaries/Mac/PKGTest.app/Contents/MacOS/PKGTest (No such file or directory)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: /Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/Binaries/Mac/PKGTest.app/Contents/MacOS/PKGTest
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): mono: Total build time: 3.95 seconds
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 4.146676s to run mono, ExitCode=5
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): ErrorReporter.Error: ERROR: AutomationTool error: Command failed (Result:5): /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.8/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe PKGTest Mac Development “/Users/mark/Documents/Unreal Projects/PKGTest/PKGTest.uproject” -noxge -rocket -nocreatestub -NoHotReloadFromIDE -ignorejunk. See logfile for details: ‘UnrealBuildTool.19.txt’
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Mac): BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED

Hey MajorFailure,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have packaged on a Macbook Air for blueprint and c++. Both of these projects packaged without any errors, and were successful.

• Would you please provide some additional information about what you’re doing with your project?
  • What exact version of the engine you’re on?
  • Have you ever built a project on Mac before?
  • How did you obtain the editor, was it through the Epic Games Launcher or through Github?
  • Could I please have your error as a .txt file?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thanks!

Thank you for the quick reply , I am now able to package, for some reason I hadn’t the latest Xcode on this Mac.

So whilst packaging succeeds the packaged app will not run. Did you try running the projects you packaged to see if they started up Ok?!

I’m just packaging a default third person blueprint project with no changes, I’m on 4.8.3 from the Games Launcher. I have Full Rebuild checked in the Packaging options and am using a pack file (tried both).

Thanks

So I’ve found that there’s an app bundle for the project in the Saved/StagedBuilds/MacNoEditor/PKGTest/Binaries/Mac/PKGTest.app, if I double click on that the project runs fine.

So it looks like it’s not being assembled and copied to the staging directory correctly?

Did you see my latest posts?!

Thanks.

Hey,

I am able to package, install and run the third person template on an iOS Mac. Have you attempted to try this on 4.9.0 Preview 4? What about any other template, is this one the only one that causes trouble for you?

Thanks!

Hello,

I’m trying to package for Mac Desktop not iOS, all projects are doing the same here, the third person template was just the most simple example really.

I’ll try 4.9 Preview.

Thanks.

Well, 4.9.0 Preview 4 is even more broken.

I have just tested that 4.9 Preview 4 is packaging correctly for Mac. Could you please upload your as a .txt file?

Thank you!

Hey MajorFailure,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thanks!