Unable to open 4.0.2 project with 4.1?

After upgrading to 4.1, I can no longer open my project. I can do so by selecting 4.0.2, so it appears as though the project hasn’t been corrupted. When attempting to open the project, it gets as far as saying “Checking Map”, which is followed by a crash message: We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please send this crash report to help improve our software.

87f4c8efef53b1d0dd0389be30a6633f

Did you try this ?

Upgrading C++ code projects
You’ll need to recompile the C++ project for the new version of Unreal Engine
Locate the .uproject file in your game’s folder, and right click on it.  (on Mac, you can also Command + Click)
Select Switch Unreal Engine Version  ->   4.1 (on Mac, this is in a Services menu)
Right click to generate new C++ project files, then recompile your game normally.
Note:  Some C++ APIs may have changed between versions, which can cause compile errors.  Read the API Changes section for more information.

This is for a blueprint project, so I’m unable to recompile the project, but I had already switched to 4.1.

Upgrading Projects

• Some steps may be required to get your 4.0 project working in 4.1.
  • Upgrading Blueprint-only projects
    You can load your existing project in the new editor normally.
    Note: Some Blueprint APIs may have changed between versions, which could cause warnings in your content. Read the API Changes section for more information.

seems like you’ve found a way to break it

I was having the same issue but found a workaround. I opened my project in 4.0.2, I went to ‘Edit’-> ‘Project Settings’-> ‘Games - Maps and Modes’ and changed my ‘Game Default Map’ and ‘Editor Startup Map’ to a different map and tried loading it in 4.1 and it worked. I hope it works for you too.

Thanks, ChampagneRobot!

I had originally tried this first, with no success. I needed to set it to open to the minimal example, and then open my projects map. Works fine now!

Hi Havok,

as I’m experiencing the same issue I tried what you suggested.

The minimal default map open fine then.
Yet when I try to open the actual map I wanna work on (the one I created in 4.0.2) it crashes again with the same error…and I haven’t even used anything but static meshes in there, no BP’s, no C++ no nothing :frowning:

Ok, granted, one of my meshes is rather large in polycount…3.8 Mtris

Sadly there is no log info that appears to be remotely useful to finding the problems cause. :frowning:

Ruben