Unable to load DefaultMaterialName with dedicated server. (UE4.12.3)

Hi - I’ve built a dedicated server and cooked the data for the server. When I try to run though I get the following error:

LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../ProjectX/Proj/Content/UI/Fonts/AcuminProBlackItalic.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../ProjectX/Proj/Content/UI/Fonts/AcuminProBlackItalic.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../ProjectX/Proj/Content/UI/Match/Font/ClearSans-Bold.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../ProjectX/Proj/Content/UI/Match/Font/ClearSans-Bold.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../ProjectX/Proj/Content/UI/Fonts/AcuminProUltBlack.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../ProjectX/Proj/Content/UI/Fonts/AcuminProUltBlack.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../EngineDevInternal/Engine/Content/EngineMaterials/WorldGridMaterial.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogLinker:Warning: Unable to load package (../../../../EngineDevInternal/Engine/Content/EngineMaterials/WorldGridMaterial.uasset). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.
LogUObjectGlobals:Warning: Failed to find object 'Material /Engine/EngineMaterials/WorldGridMaterial.WorldGridMaterial'
LogWindows:Warning: CreateProc failed (2) ..\..\..\Engine\Binaries/Win64/CrashReportClient.exe  -Unattended -nullrhi -AppName=ProjectX -CrashGUID=UE4CC-Windows-A6E760034C1C50D29F3144953E6DECCA_0000 -DebugSymbols=..\..\..\..\EngineDevInternal\Engine\Intermediate\Symbols
LogWindows:Error: === Critical error: ===

Assertion failed: GDefaultMaterials[Domain] != NULL [File:C:\p4\EngineDevInternal\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Materials\Material.cpp] [Line: 358] 
Cannot load default material 'engine-ini:/Script/Engine.Engine.DefaultMaterialName'

The uasset files mentioned above do exist on my drive. I’ve tried rebuilding code and re-cooking data many times and the dedicated server still throws this error when I run it. I can play the game fine in the editor and the standalone versions also works fine. Can anyone help ?

I’m using UE 4.12.3

Thanks.

I get the same errors using 4.16.1, just updated to 4.16.2 and have not checked but this is starting to feel ridiculous.

What i did so far was to enable viewing the Engine content in the editor so i’d see both my project and the engine BP/content. I then searched for WorldGridMaterial, it found it, then i requested references. I found a few in content that was purchased (Seriously, how come the package sellers are not having issues with that when they make the package? lack of testing or just some bad setup on my side?)

I also tried changing the default material to a material in the current project, did not work or i have no idea how to make it work.

I’m out of ideas on how to get rid of that error message and to get a dedicated server to run.

Lost at least a week on that.

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Did any of you figure this out?

I’m experiencing this issue in 4.17. Ive tried packaging to a .pak file aswell as to a loose content files. also tried removing the WorldGridMaterial from my game, including the editor content and rerouting the DefaultMaterial path from the BaseEngine.ini file to something that is included in the packaged content for sure.

Nothing helped. I’m stuck here.
So if you found a solution to this issue, please share.

You can check the packaging settings and make sure you are not excluding editor content from the pack, so it will be in there. It adds to the package size, you better not to use it in final products.

The marketplace items are usually artists tools designed to work with the Editor, but real game usage is also possible, tho that are considered secondary use as it is customized by the developers - therefore no editor content will be in the final product.

Same problem here!

4.16.0, same problem.
i found the document about dedicated server is rarely, multiplayer game will use a listen server? mostly use a dedicated server, listen server is just a toy.

#ifndef WITH_EDITORONLY_DATA
#if !PLATFORM_CAN_SUPPORT_EDITORONLY_DATA || UE_SERVER || PLATFORM_IOS
#define WITH_EDITORONLY_DATA 0
#else
#define WITH_EDITORONLY_DATA 1
#endif
#endif

typedef FWindowsPlatformProperties<WITH_EDITORONLY_DATA, UE_SERVER, !WITH_SERVER_CODE> FPlatformProperties;

LinkerLoad.cpp 1085

// don’t load packages that contain editor only data in builds that don’t support that and vise versa
if (!FPlatformProperties::HasEditorOnlyData() && !(Summary.PackageFlags & PKG_FilterEditorOnly))
{
UE_LOG(LogLinker, Warning, TEXT(“Unable to load package (%s). Package contains EditorOnly data which is not supported by the current build.”), *Filename );
return LINKER_Failed;
}

i found the warning code, it seems that dedicated server will define UE_SERVER, so server can’t use editor only data, although you cook the asset.
who knows which macros will be defined when build dedicated server? and how to know a asset is editoronly or not?
thanks.

i check the package setting.
i don’t package the assets to a single file, and i can find the aseet file in the package folder.
but it don’t works, still can’t find the asset.