"Unable to find valid toolchain for VisualStudio2022", but installed

When creating C++ Unreal Engine 5.2 project, it fails with this error and I can’t create the project:

Running E:/UE_5.2/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Build.bat  -projectfiles -project="C:/Users/Raphael/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject/MyProject.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
Using bundled DotNet SDK version: 6.0.302
Running UnrealBuildTool: dotnet "..\..\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.dll" -projectfiles -project="C:/Users/Raphael/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject/MyProject.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
Log file: C:\Users\Raphael\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log_GPF.txt

Some Platforms were skipped due to invalid SDK setup: IOS, Android, Linux, LinuxArm64.
See the log file for detailed information

Generating VisualStudio2022 project files:
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project...
Available x64 toolchains (2):
 * C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.36.32532
    (Family=14.36.32532, FamilyRank=2, Version=14.36.32532, Is64Bit=True, Preview=False, Architecture=x64, Error=False)
 * C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.32.31326
    (Family=14.32.31326, FamilyRank=2, Version=14.32.31336, Is64Bit=True, Preview=False, Architecture=x64, Error=False)
Unable to find valid 14.32 toolchain for VisualStudio2022 x64

Unable to find valid 14.32 toolchain, but it finds version 14.32.31326.

I have tried to reinstall Visual Studio and Unreal Engine multiple times, it does not fix the problem.

1 Like

hi @rafoudiablol ,
The problem is in the 5.2 source code .
The error has been fixed in MY Repository, but obviously this requires building 5.2 source which may not be what you want.
Anyway the patch is here
UnrealEngine-5/MicrosoftPlatformSDK.Versions.cs at Luoshuangs-GPULightmass-5.1.1-vs2022 · jimshalo10/UnrealEngine-5 · GitHub

@Jimbohalo10 Thanks you, but I tried to install 5.1 and I got the exact same error.

Hi @rafoudiablol,
I have found that the new version of VS2022 uses an MSVC 14.37.32705 which is newer than the original 14.36.*
Therefore you will need to update your archive repository using the command “git pull” and in VS2022 Build UE5
as described in
README.md at Luoshuangs-GPULightmass-5.1.1-vs2022 · jimshalo10/UnrealEngine-5

The binary 5.1.1 cannot be updated

Does anyone have the answer, ue5-release still has this issue, and none of the fixes provided worked, actually when comparing files it seemed as if no changes were even made

these are the locations we need to check as per docs

• Engine/Saved/UnrealBuildTool/BuildConfiguration.xml
  • <USER>/AppData/Roaming/Unreal Engine/UnrealBuildTool/BuildConfiguration.xml
  • My Documents/Unreal Engine/UnrealBuildTool/BuildConfiguration.xml
  • <PROJECT_DIRECTORY>/Saved/UnrealBuildTool/BuildConfiguration.xml

And also check

• <PROJECT_DIRECTORY>/Config/DefaultEditor.ini
  • <PROJECT_DIRECTORY>/Config/DefaultEditorSettings.ini
    • [/Script/SourceCodeAccess.SourceCodeAccessSettings] PreferredAccessor=VisualStudio2022
  • <PROJECT_DIRECTORY>/Config/DefaultEngine.ini
    • [/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings] Compiler=VisualStudio2022
3 Likes