Unable to compile blank project

I have a new UE 5.2 blank project that I am unable to compile in Visual Studio.
The errors are all in read-only source files and I have done literally nothing the blank project.

Can someone explain how there can be errors in UE5’s source? Again I have not done a thing but generate a new project from a template.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error (active) E0035 error directive: Unsupported architecture, please declare which address bit distinguish user space from kernel space UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\AssetRegistry\AssetDataTagMap.h 184
Error (active) E1835 attribute deprecated does not apply here UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\Serialization\BulkData.h 277
Error (active) E1835 attribute deprecated does not apply here UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\Serialization\BulkData.h 1201
Error (active) E0415 no suitable constructor exists to convert from UPTRINT to UE::CoreUObject::Private::FPackedObjectRef UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\PackedObjectRef.h 32
Error (active) E0070 incomplete type is not allowed UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\StringView.h 406
Error (active) E0070 incomplete type is not allowed UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\StringView.h 413
Error (active) E1455 member function declared with ‘override’ does not override a base class member UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Serialization\ArchiveProxy.h 157
Error (active) E0515 cannot convert to incomplete class const FBulkDataSerializationParams UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Serialization\ArchiveProxy.h 159
Error (active) E1455 member function declared with ‘override’ does not override a base class member UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Serialization\ArchiveProxy.h 167
Error (active) E0167 argument of type TArray<FCompressedChunk, FDefaultAllocator> * is incompatible with parameter of type TArray<FCompressedChunk, FDefaultAllocator> * UE5 E:\epicgames\UE_5.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Serialization\ArchiveProxy.h 169

From a Japanese user:

"In general, it is safer to avoid names that are likely to be reserved words.There are cases where a project cannot be built successfully if a word that is treated specially in UnrealEngine is used as a project name. In addition to ‘Test’ , words used in platform names such as ‘Windows’ ‘Switch’ should also be avoided. Also, the error list is unreliable in UnrealEngine development, so don’t look at it. For all errors, see the log in the output tab. judge by "

https://forums-unrealengine-com.translate.goog/t/ue5-ue5-2-1-ue5-1-1/1207021

Basically, you probably used “MyTestProject” try the default project name of “MyProject”.

Having looked at this a bit more I still see the same error, with a different project name, so more likely its probably errors you have to ignore… not great.

If you have Build+IntelliSense on try setting it to Build Only

2 Likes

In addition to ‘build’ only on the error list tab, the log, from the output tab, (C:\Users\CoolUsername\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt) told me [BuildException: Unable to build while Live Coding is active. Exit the editor and game, or press Ctrl+Alt+F11 if iterating on code in the editor or game].

Setting, in VS, Error List tab to ‘build’ and closing Unreal Engine, allowed me to compile project.

1 Like

Not sure if I solve the same problem. I had similar issue which I can’t compile an empty project with “Development Editor”. I managed to be able to debug using “Debug Game Editor”. The “Development Editor” aren’t working for me. I’m using Unreal Engine 5.3.2 with Visual Studio 2022 version 17.9.2
Hope this got resolved in the future.

1 Like

I got the same bunch of errors because I forgot to go to Edit > Editor Preferences > General > Source Code > Source Code Editor and change the setting to my IDE (in my case Visual Studio 2022)

2 Likes