Unable to change translucency using post-process material.

Hi,
I am trying to change the color of translucent objects using post-process material. And it seems like it is not working. I am unable to manipulate the translucency in post-process material.

Note: I am using the “Before Tone Mapper”.
I also tried “Before Translucency”.

It seems like the unreal engine doesn’t support translucency manipulation through post-process material.

1 Like

Which Scene Texture are you using? Have a look at this documentation: Post Process Materials | Unreal Engine Documentation

Blendable Location Description
Before Tonemapping PostProcessInput0 provides the scene color with all lighting in HDR. Use this to fix issues with temporal antialiasing and GBuffer lookups e.g. depth, normals.
After Tonemapping Preferred location for performance as the color is LDR and therefore requires less precision and bandwidth. This is after tone mapping and color grading.
Before Translucency This is even earlier in the pipeline than ‘Before Tonemapping’ before translucency was combined with the scene color. Note that SeparateTranslucency is composited later than normal translucency.
Replacing the Tonemapper PostProcessInput0 provides the HDR scene color, PostProcessInput1 has the SeparateTranslucency (Alpha is mask), PostprocessInput2 has the low resolution bloom input.

Note:

PostProcessInput1 has the SeparateTranslucency (Alpha is mask).

1 Like

am I doing something wrong even if I use the 4th channel as a mask it gives highlights everything as white while keeping translucent in its original color? but if I invert that mask it changes everything to black and still keeps translucent in its original color.
which doesn’t seem right.

I don’t want to replace the tone mapper.
And It only works correctly if I change the post-process blending mode to “After Tone mapping” which provides the LDR color, without AA and depth. so I can’t use this as well.

For example, if I want to change the color of the translucent water plane using post-process material then I can’t with this mask.

Hi, Did you ever figure this out?

unreal engine itselt doesn’t allow it. let me know if you find anything.