UMG Widgets and HTML5

Since updating to UE 4.72 I’ve been experiencing issues with HTML5 and widgets. The widgets were causing js errors since the update on a project that worked fine before. I haven’t been able to replicate the js errors yet but I have been able to replicate some problems with widgets. Widgets are not appearing in HTML5.

I created a first person shooter template, created a widget, added the widget to the view port on event begin play in the HUD. The text I added to the widget does not appear at all when running on Firefox (it works fine the view port). I’m hoping the js erros are one and the same as this.alt text

Hello Zaeran24,

I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

  1. What version of python are you using (I have it working with 2.7.9)?
  2. Can you reproduce this in a clean project?
  3. If so, could you provide any steps that were left out or modified from those provided in the original post?

I’m using 2.7.5. I will update to 2.7.9 and give it a go.

Hello Zaeran24,

Please let me know if updating to 2.7.9 solves your issue. If it does not please reply with the information requested above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Same results event after updating Python. I also check emenscipten was up to date as well as windows.

I was able to reproduce it with a clean project. I did:
1)created a first person project
2)created a widget
3)removed the canvas and replaced it with a vertical box
4)added a textblock to the vertical box
5)added the widget to the view port in the HUD event begin play
6)tested with the play in viewport (it works here)
7)launched on firefox (the text block is no longer visible)

Hello Zaeran24,

I am still unable to reproduce this our end. Can you tell me what version of firefox your are using?

I am using firefox 36.0.1. Running the build on nightly has the same problem as regular firefox. Running a shipping build on chrome and chromium brings up JS errors and doesn’t work at all.

Ok, I’m really confused now. The project I started from fresh started working all of a sudden. I hadn’t done anything that should have fixed it. I still have the JS errors on my original project though. I guess I will have to look into it some more.

Hello Zaeran24,

Do you still have the same issue with a clean project that has been updated from the version you updated your original project from?

Ok, looks like it was actually 2 problems. The Slate widgets weren’t always getting updated with i ran HTML5. I have to restart the editor to make sure the new package got updated with the new widget. Yes I have the same problems in a clean project.

The second problem was with a font. I’m attaching the font that was giving me problems. I don’t know if it’s just a one off for this text

Hello Zaeran24,

I was able to reproduce this issue on our end. I have written up a report (UE-11792) and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for you time and information.

Make it a great day