UMG - Tick function removed when set to collapsed

Hi,

When you set a Root component of a Widget to Collapsed (Overlay in my case), the tick event is not called anymore.
If you set it to Hidden it will still tick.

Could you please confirm the issue?

Thanks,

Hello,

I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. When I collapse or set the widget to hidden the widget’s Tick event stops running, I believe that this is intended. If you would like to hide the widget and still run the tick event you could apply the widget as a user created widget to another “Master/Holder” widget and used the tick event from the “Master/Holder” widget or simply set the opacity to 0. I hope that this information helps.

Make it a great day

Hi,

I will try to repro that again on my side, but I had clearly 2 different behavior. The only thing that I can understand to have 2 behavior is that when Hidden, you still need to calculate the size.

In all case, can’t we have a setup / function to set “Tick when Hidden/Collapsed”? more or less like the type of things we have for an actor?

May be a good thing to add a comment on thiose function also as it’s not a obvious behavior even if I understand the purpose of it.

thanks,

Hello,

I have written up a feature request (UE-18365) to toggle a “Tickable” property within the widget for when it is hidden/collapsed and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a set detailed steps in order to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that are involved.

Make it a great day

Hello,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

No, tick is part of widget painting, calculating size is handled in a different pass. If it’s not painting, they wont be ticked. We’re not interested in supporting hidden things still get ticks through a bunch of complicated logic (e.g, do hidden things need to tick hidden children?).

If you need to continue to get a “Tick” consider making a timer callback.

Ok fine with this. Afterall it make sense.
Adding a comment in the description of the function light be great just to avoid misunderstanding.
thanks