UMG Radar

Hi I hope everyone is doing alright,

My UMG radar finally got released, it’s a texture based radar and can be customized easily, (background image, border etc) it can track any actor in the world at anytime basically you can choose when to track and stop tracking something at runtime, it supports persistent tracking as well which means targets that are off screen can still be targeted by displaying a customized (icon/texture) at the border of the radar. Tracking target rotation is also possible.

Video: Video preview

The radar supports on hover tooltips meaning that you can add custom tooltips to your target when you hover over them in the radar, you can also click on the radar to get the world location, or add a marker by calling the AddMarker/RemoveMarker function at any point during the game.

When adding a target you get to choose what texture to display the size and color, and of course the tooltip and whether it’s persistent or not.
You can enable the height indicator which displays an arrow up for targets above you and arrow down for targets below, you can change the texture displayed in the TargetWidgetComponent.

**Update: **Added a blinking effect that can be enabled/disabled at runtime (You get to choose the blink speed)

It’s very easy to add to your project and can work in a multiplayer game as well.

Video: Video preview
Product: Market place page

Hope you like it, feel free to ask me anything.

Hi, thanks for replying. The advantages are like you said tooltips, persistent tracking (off screen targets can still be tracked as you can see in the video when the target is too far away the target texture changes to something like an arrow indicating the direction of that target (you decide what texture to use)), Height indicator, clicking on the radar gives you the world location, adding a marker onMouseClick (the marker can be persistent if you want), I just submitted an update that includes the option to add a blinking effect (you can specify the blink speed for each target you add) you can stop the blinking effect at anytime during the game, I’ll keep updating this radar by adding requested features and of course providing support to whoever buys my product.

**1- **After adding the widget that contains the radar you can then call the AddTarget(s) function which gives you all the customization you need for that or those targets you want to add, including what tooltip you want to show, if you don’t want to show a tooltip you can leave it empty (there’s an example map included which shows how it’s done)
**Edit: **I missed the drag as a widget component part sorry, obviously the tooltip triggers when you hover your mouse, if you want the tooltip to display you might need to display it permanently or automatically display it for nearby targets without relying on mouse hover (that can be good with a game pad I guess), I can implement that if you need it.

**2- **Yes, an up arrow will be displayed for targets above you based on the acceptable height difference you specify in the settings, and an arrow pointing down for targets below you, if you open the **RadarTargetWidgetComponent **you can customize the texture you want to display when targets are above or below. (I can add a different effect if you prefer something else)

https://image.ibb.co/i0QD7d/height.png

**3- **Yes I can do that, if you need it you can tell me the way you would like it to be (Cycle through nearby targets, or show a cursor etc) and I can do it.

Here’s a function used to add multiple targets at once, which shows the options you can enable (this is the updated version)

https://image.ibb.co/d1m6tJ/add_Target.png

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Cheers.

Hi, for the gamepad support I have a couple ideas I’ll work on adding, as for the widget component yes it should work by adding the interaction component to your Jet BP which allows us to simulate all mouse movements over the widget (I believe this is a good solution when using a gamepad) I just tested it and the hover tooltip worked just fine (take a look at some videos about the interaction widget).
Note: If you change the space property of the widget component from Space to screen then everything will work as if you added the widget to the viewport yourself which means you don’t need the interaction component, but you won’t be able to change the geometry mode.

Screen scaling and FOV should not prevent the on hover event from triggering properly so no worries there.
The targeting system is doable all you need to do is handle the Onclick event of the TargetWidget (just like the OnHover for tooltips) and trigger an event dispatcher which will be handled by the Jet BP (the event will have the target actor in it) from there the jet can send the missile toward that actor. (I will add the event dispatcher in the next update)

Please feel free to ask me anything, cheers :smiley:

@franktech

I’ve never had that problem, make sure the widget is blocking the collision channel that the interaction widget is using, I tested every scenario and it seems to work just fine.
Here’s an example with the radar: https://youtu.be/f6ojm2qxkeY

@franktech

Nothing special about the 3rdP character everything is default, that center green blip is just an image I added to a widget then added the widget to the viewport just to be able to see where’s the center screen.

@franktech You’re very welcome.