UMG performance issue

After installing(and reinstalling) Unreal Engine 5.1 I found that opening any Widget cause Unreal Engine Editor grows RAM using from 2 GB to 7 GB. After some time RAM using lower to 4.6 GB. In previous versions and from another PC this behavior doesn’t happen.

Hey there @Lazy_Panda07! Welcome back to the community! Were the shaders compiling during this? This tends to increase both CPU and RAM usage exponentially for the first few minutes of a new project/engine startup.

Hello. Editor itself uses this amount of RAM. If shaders compiling I see it in task manager as separate process and CPU load also increases. In this situation only RAM using raises. This happens also if I compile some blueprint and immediately click Play.

2gb to 4gb is around the average for most standard operation, so something unintended must be happening in the meantime. I was thinking the autosave could have been causing some ram usage, but it’s usually significantly less than that spike.

Is this only with widgets or other editor windows causing it as well? I’ve seen some weirdness (CPU not RAM usually) with a DPI issue (I’m not joking) with UMG but the fact it’s happening only in 5.1 this definitely seems to be something else.

Creating empty widget also cause this issue.

Hrm, this is definitely a complaint I’ve heard in 5.1 more often now. Does this occur with SM5/DX11? I’m thinking resources are being accessed too often/incorrectly could cause something like these spikes.

We are using SM6/Directx12 since 5.0.

Definitely think it should be filed as a bug report. I’ve been doing some digging and every recent instance of this occurring has been on 5.1 SM6. Both DX12 and Vulkan are having reported issues. Wish I had a better idea in the meantime, but if it’s just widgets there’s not to go on. Could be slate itself, just UMG, or a hyperspecific hardware/software snafu, etc.