Download

UMG pause menu - need to count in to the level, how?

Having scoured google I cannot find a decent response to this, beyond very vague answers.

Basically what I wish to do is have a count-in when exiting from the pause menu, this would not be a problem except that the UMG BP does not seem to allow delaying while game is paused.

The menu should come up whenever a level is loaded as new. Then when player hits start level we get a UMG countdown 3…2…1 then the game should begin.

I have tried this a variety of ways, from created a delay (does not work while game paused) to having a boolean variable to tell the event tick that we need to delay for 3 seconds then unpause (to check current delta against clicked delta+3 and unpause when it is >=).

It seems to just stop as soon as the boolean is changed. I mean it does not seem to fire eventtick on the BP as soon as the boolean is changed.

How are others getting around this issue?

Regards,
Slipoch

[SOLVED]

hi! If you are doing the countdown in your gamemode blueprint, you can set the tick when paused to true.

then it will keep executing even when the game is paused. I believe you can also do this on most blueprint you have.

This is on the UMG blueprint and as far as I can see it does not have that option at all.

The problem here as I see it is that to have a clickable button in UMG it fires the event on the UMG BP and I have no way of pushing that through to fire a function or event on the gameplay BP.

Any pointers here would be great.

Ok, I have solved it, the solution is as follows for anyone else wanting this kind of thing.
As JX53mb suggested the gamemode can fire ticks when paused, so I created the blueprints to create the countdown UMG on a custom event in my gamemode blueprint and enabled the tick when paused option in details.
Then in the menu UMG I used a GetGameMode and then cast to my specific gamemode, then I dragged off the object pin and called the event.
Simple when you know how. Now I can use delay and other stuff in conjunction with my UMG (although it is a bit of a workaround).