UMG Minimap | Almost Plug and Play

Hey

How are you?

I need your help to implement something on your minimap to make it more complete

I noticed that most of the mini-map in almost all the games RPG, MMO, FPS have a kind of mini-map where some points are locked on the minimap edge, like a compass.

this points do not disappear when are out of view, are turning around the edges and only come out of these edges when the player is very close to the location marked

In the screenshot below. This is an minimap example in the Minecraft game, you can see that some waypoints are fixed on the edges only indicating the direction, are outlined with red circles.

minimapmine.jpg

This is very important. I saw this thing in most current games, The Witcher 3, Dying Light, Saints Row and many others

Hi ! I’m fine, thanks, what about you? :slight_smile:

I agree that this would be a great feature and I already thought about implementing it at some time, but since it could be quite some work I have not done it yet. It’s definitely something I will look into in the next days/weeks/months, but currently it’s not a feature of the minimap :cool:

Cheers!

I’ve watched your YOUTUBE tutorial, excellent…but, before I purchase I was wondering if you can select something in the window that will then be highlighted in the minimap? I would like to use this for a large galaxy (zoomed out) and having a little notification in the minimap where you are would be cool.

Thanks for all your hard work… Its really awesome!

Hi , thanks, and yes, you can do this :slight_smile: I don’t fully understand what you mean, but you can surely do it :cool: If you want to switch between two different point styles, one regular and one highlighted, you would just do something like a branch in the DrawPoints function and check whether it’s selected or not. If you want to fully turn the point on and off dependent on whether it’s selected in the world you would just only draw the point if it’s selected, a simple branch.

Apologies for not being clear… What I mean is in the window (not the mini-map) the end-user would select say a planet on a semi-zoomed out screen… would the mini-map then highlight the selected item in the window in the mini-map… Did I make sense?

I still don’t really get whether you want to highlight an existing point (change the texture) or show a new point where no point was before, but as I said above, in both cases the answer is yes, you can do it :slight_smile:

It’s late… <smiles> You already ANSWERED ME… Goodness, I need to go to bed. I see what you are saying now… Nite!

Purchased! Keep up the great work!

Hey!

I have just released a major update for the Minimap, including a lot of bugfixes and awesome new features!

You can now use a circle for the Minimap instead of only a rectangle!

&stc=1&d=1439840122

And you can create points which automatically create arrows at the border of the Minimap when they get out of view :cool: Of course these arrows are, as always, fully customizable and you can use textures or even full materials for these arrows, so you could even animate them in a material!

Also, I have updated the node for adding points. It now uses a “Point Style” struct. So you can now easily share different point styles for different classes and you can even let each actor instance have their own Point Style which you can directly set in the level for each individual instance.

Together with the update I also have created a whole new tutorial series on youtube for the Minimap, you can find the videos here:

With this update I also increase the price to $39,99. Everyone who bought the Minimap before of course gets the update for free :cool:

Cheers!

Hi
I’ve just installed your UMG Mini Map into my August 2015 Gamejam entry, BattleBoats. However, when I turn on the game I don’t see any of the water that the BP_LakeWater routine created on the minimap texture. Is there a way to modify the capture camera blueprint to include the water?

BTW, the water was created using Epic Games WATER PLANES example project.

Hey Demolition Man,

is your water translucent? In UE4, translucent meshes are disappearing after a while if you are too far away, could you try to just fly very high above your level with your camera in the editor and see whether you can still see the water? Depending on the size of your level the CaptureCam (which you seem to use) is placed quite high above the level. You could always use a custom texture as the background, like almost all other games out there do :slight_smile: Your game name sounds like all of the game is on the sea, so using a custom texture would be a good idea since it would probably look a lot better than the water captured from high above.

Cheers!

Hi
That doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m looking at the level from a very high viewpoint and I still see the water.

It does appear to be using a material instance instead of a regular material. The water plane mesh does appear to be a Double Sided Geometry Object. Not sure if that’s a factor or not.

Well, that’s strange then! Could I add you on skype to quickly find the cause for this? :slight_smile:

Hi Again,
managed to contact me via Skype and we found the solution to the problem. It appears that the water uses a translucent material which give the capture cam blueprint some heartburn. However, after changing the capture camera field of view variable to a value of 90, everything seems to be working now. So here are some before and after type photos from the game.

Thanks
I was worried about being able to make the MiniMap circular. I was probably one of many that emailed you about it. Works awesome…
Also, I found out early on that I had to change the field of view to 90.

Looks great! Very nice to see how the minimap is used in different games :slight_smile:

Ahhhh why is it $40! What happen to the $19.99?

Where do you see $40? It’s only $39,99 :slight_smile: I also mentioned it in the thread here:

It seems to be usual on the marketplace to increase the price as functionality get’s more and better through updates :slight_smile:

That is true. The Marketplace is for living, evolving products that are supported by their creators and get better over time. has put in a tremendous amount of time and effort to develop, improve, and support UMG Mini Map, and that translates directly into time and effort saved for the people that purchase and use it. It’s important to value your work. :slight_smile: