Ultrasonic Welding Machine - Digital Twin

Second Digital Twin Project with Solidworks & Unreal Engine 5

4 Likes

The level of detail and surrounding is nice, are you planning on having any more simulations with this project?

1 Like

Hello Karel,

this project was build for presentation to remote users in a small multiplayer colab setup + pixelstreaming.
It also showed how well the connection to Solidworks with Datasmith already works.

I did all the animations with Blueprints, so a connection to a PLC would be possible. The machine is already in production and unfortunately I don’t have access to the PLC program.

But to answer the question from your other post, a visualization inside the HMI touch panel would be a very good use case.

For the Connection you can use OPC UA or Mqtt.
Hopefully someone realease a stable&saftey OPC Plugin in the Future

2 Likes

Hello ,

Thanks for your answer, glad to see industrial engineering oriented topics like yours here. The possibilities are endless when reading and getting into unreal engine.
I see epic committing to HMI development for the automotive market so will be interesting to follow this. A good plugin seems indeed required to fuel the blueprint animations.

Concerning the availability of a good plugin, I saw this webinar that uses temperature data from a IOT Device.
Webinar: Visualizing Data in Digital Twins with Unreal Engine

They did provide a plugin which could import data only for the 5.0 version of the engine. I did see the GitHub repository for this being updated some days ago:
Unreal Engine and Azure Digital Twins integration demo

To integrate full PLC parameters would beautiful, experimenting with unreal engine to develop digital twins of machines and ultimately factories. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi Karel,
I made a example for a HMI + Virtual Camera to check if there is any collision.
controlled with a xbox conroller

2 Likes

Wow Cpt.Brotzeit, this stuff gets me exited :star_struck:

The Xbox controller is a nice touch, I will check it out to try for my robot project.
I strongly believe these kind of simulations bring a lot of advantages. I see all to often time being wasted visualizing/understanding the problem.
The render quality of the CAD is high , did you use Omniverse again here?

Finally do you have some good tutorials or guides to learn more? I find myself searching long time to find good guides for these kinds of projects.

Best wishes and lots of fun for 2023,

Karel