[UEFN] VS Code version very old version installed 1.73 October 2022 read how to update

In UEFN 26.30 Clicked Verse Explorer. UEFN then said did I want to install VS Code.
This installed the version from October 2022 namely 1.73,

This ONLY affects users who did NOT have VS Code installed before using UEFN

You have to click the Settings icon at the bottom left (icon of toothed gear)

“Check for updates” then it pulled in the latest VS Code version 1.89 as of 1st May 2024

This does not get updated automatically like UEFN currently 26.40 (Lego Star Wars)

VS Code 1.89 works so much faster on compilation and moving about the project

What’s the issue there, you updated to 1.89 right ?

I don’t think Epic can force us to install a specific version of VSCode since it’s using a separate standalone installer or smth

hi,
I have since realised that many developers will already have the latest version because like Visual Studio 2022 they will have already have VS Code already installed before using UEFN.

This only seems to affect new UEFN users who dont have VS Code

I have updated my posting
Thanks

Sadly even on newest version of VSC, performance of verse compiler is still really bad for large projects. We just have to hope they’ll improve it some day

1 Like

hi @michll ,
In Visual Studio 2022 the build routine looks for code that has been changed on per file basis and builds that section.
The first build of UE5 take me 8 hours but I can change code for UE5 Lighting and automatically sense what I have changed and ONLY build those 4 dependencies. Then two minutes to complete build. My PC is very old low power. All my code is on SSD/NVRAM drives or would take 16 minutes per change for UE5

Which means for large projects you have incremental building.
In Verse as in Fortnite everything is loaded to the servers first and there is constant network traffic to Amazon AWS EC2 servers during editing Verse in VS Code

Everything seems on the web/cloud. Compiling in the morning in England is great because the US is asleep and the is plenty of server capacity. In the evening it was DIRE and mostly use evenings

Off Topic When building code for Amazon Alexa the the same problem was true as EMEA data centres are limited. Quicker to use North America Servers