Download

UE5 Workstation Build Recommendations

Trying to run UE5 has swiftly made me realise i need to upgrage my PC. With the RTX3080ti on the Horizon now seems like a good time to upgrade. Last upgrade was 5 years ago before i started Unreal development so I’m a bit out of the loop. I’ve seen the recommended specs for the UE5 Sample project and see a 12 core CPU is recommended.

Currently i’m thinking:
Intel i9 10920x Processor
RTA3080Ti Graphics
Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master X299 Motherboard

Does this sound reasonable? Are there better options for a UE5 Workstation build? I would love to hear your recommendations for a new build now we know have had a few days to work with the engine.

The kicker for the sample project in particular is RAM—I’ve got a 3950X and 64 GB and I noticed that the editor’s memory usage peaked at 19 GB shortly before it crashed at the Dark World “boss fight” scene.

To this end, yeah the CPU seems fine (though a 5900X wouldn’t be a bad idea if you’re willing to go Ryzen), but I’d recommend at least 32 GB system memory.

Current build for me is:
Intel Core i9-10920X
256 GB Ram DDR4 (Trident Z Neo ram G.Skill)
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB (still zero 3080’s available)
ASUS Prime X299-A II motherboard
ROG STRIX HELIOS Case

I think EPIC’s raytracing or lumen was based on RTX series GPU.

Lumen is RTX killer software. It is software-based raytracing. You an enable hardware based raytracing where available, but the software-based Lumen is really better than anything RTX is capable of today. Lumen and Nanite are basically the RTX and DLSS killers. The hype is finally going to be over. We now have examples of why RTX and DLSS are pointless.
I have an i7 7700, 64GB DDR, EVGA 3080. I get 45-60fps in the Valley of the Ancient sample project. I would recommend getting the fastest GPU you possibly can.
While working in UE5-EA, I see RAM utilization around 17-20GB for UE5 process. The 64GB total system RAM allows me to have Chrome open at the same time.

I’m currently running on:
AMD Threadripper 3970X
256 GB RAM
RTX 3090

and Unreal Engine 5 runs horribly for me. I even threw a new drive in with a fresh install of Windows, just to give it a fresh shot, so in all honesty I don’t think it will be very easy to gauge what kind of specs will be ideal yet. We need to wait a little bit for Epic to fix bugs and optimize things a little more before the benchmarks can begin so to speak.