UE5 UI annoyingly slow

Hello, unreal devs!

Just installed UE5, started some tutorials and noticed that the whole UI kinda too slow - its simply dont keep up with the cursor, it feels like you are working on remote PC with delay of input/output. And only viewport is smooth (120fps).

Tried 5.2.1 and 5.1.1 versions - same situation. Then installed last UE4 (4.27.2) - and its perfectly fine.

Any thoughts? Tried to find some settings like GPU acceleration or something else but seems that there are nothing such options. Also searched for some advices something like changing animations/effects of windows, turning on vsync, fullscreen/not fullscreen, lowering visual settings (though viewport is smooth) - still no result.

Here is attempt to show it on vid: UE5 VS UE4 - YouTube - you can see drops in right upper conner from 120 to 10 fps when interacting with anything outside of viewport (menus, settings etc)

PC specs:

• Ryzen 5800X
  • Radeon 7900XTX (latest drivers)
  • 32 Gb RAM
  • Win11 (latest)

Thanks in advance

If it’s not in UE’s settings (editor / project) then it’s system specific to your system. UE5 is slow. it hangs a lot especially editor menus. But it doesn’t feel like there is input lag to cursor interaction for me. Does it happen with your keyboard? with a gamepad? Thinking you might have some sort of mouse smoothing active in the editor based on one of its settings, some of the settings you can configure from within a game affect the editor as well. Another thing to look out for is the screen resolution you are using. A bad fit / large resolution can cause lag on many monitors.

After some research and experiments I found out that problem was in FPS Monitor app. I have seen suggestions to disable any overlays and disabled FPS Monitor overlay by hotkey, but seems that built in overlay-disabling function actually just make it invisible instead of turning it off.

So solution is to completely quit off FPS Monitor. Now UE5 runs perfectly smooth, happy with it :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks Dude! Finally find the cause. I use MSI afterbuner for FPS caps. Simply closing it will fix UE5’s slow UI performance