UE5 Theme editor is great, but lacks viewport and BP background colors!

Hi,

I am really satisfied with the new UE5 theme editor. It’s simple enough to facilitate creating nice themes very quickly, but it has unfortunately omitted couple of places.

I was able to create this OneDark inspired theme:

And it really seems to work nice in most of other parts of the engine too:

However, I am unable to change the Blueprint viewport background color:

And when it comes to Blueprint script background color, oddly, it uses actual brush asset. So in order to make the BP graph background correct, I had to create a new texture .uasset with a solid OneDark palette color, and put it somewhere in the project or the engine directory to actually be able to use it:

Then, the grid lines are still incorrectly gray, so I had to tint them to blue, because, confusingly, the grid color setting is stored per project, not with the persistent user settings:

What this ultimately means is that despite having an ability to create pretty themes, this mess of a situation means I can not share these themes with other users easily. Instead, I have to create a ugly, long list of steps users need to take on their side in order to make the theme look right.

Here’s how you can solve it:

1. Remove the Graph Editor background brush, and replace it with a solid color which is part of the theme color settings. I am having a very hard time imagining anyone actually wants a textured background for their graph editors, as visual clarity is top priority in case of reading graphs.
  2. Move the Grid Regular Color, Grid Ruler Color and Grid Center color inside the theme settings, so that they are stored with the theme, not with the project, requiring their adjustment for every new and existing project anytime you change your theme.
  3. Move Viewport Selection Color to the theme color settings as well.

Basically, the idea is to consolidate all the dangling, project-stored theme color settings inside the persistent theme settings, and to remove that one weird exception where a single color uses a brush texture instead. This is all that’s needed to make the new UE5 themes properly shareable.

1 Like