UE5 | SUDANIM Tattoo | CGI Showcase Video

I’m excited to share a promotional video I created for Tattoo Artist Sudanim. It was my first time trying out Unreal Engine 5 possibilities after exploring Unreal Engine 4 with another project. I have been working with Unreal Engine for less than a year at this point, and I’m blow away with the possibilities it brings!

The idea was to create a unique way representing Tattoo Design sketches and bring them from 2D to 3D. With the capabilities of UE5 I was able to create this video and bring my idea to life.

I hope You’ll enjoy this short video as much as I enjoyed making it! Feel free to share Your thoughts and insights!

5 Likes

The stances you put the models in seem to match the personality of the tattoos so well! :smiley:

Stunning work on each piece of art. Such an interesting gallery you have here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank You! Greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Greetings @Rok.Pat !

I saw your video and immediately went to find Sudanim’s Insta! :camera: Talk about you being blown away at the possibilities of UE5 - WE were blown away at your work!

It was a splendid idea to use porcelain mannequins to showcase Sudanim’s bespoke tattoos! The porcelain allows the designs to pop visually for us to admire the artistry. Magnificent lighting and outstanding decorative assets! I really appreciate the symmetry of the showcase. I have no idea how you’ve managed to get the artist’s designs to wrap perfectly around the mannequins!

Now that I know that Sudanim’s designs are original and freehand, the ink coming from the heavens makes so much sense! I know that Sudanim was mind-blown and superbly impressed after seeing your promo! :exploding_head: What was Sudanim’s first words after seeing your promo? Did you come up with the direction for the video or did you collaborate on the vision?

2 Likes

Hello @Get_DOVAH_it !

Thank You SO much for such kind and positive words, truly means a lot!

For applying the tattoo designs onto the mannequins I used Substance Painter after working up and optimizing the Tattoo Designs photos I received from Sudanim and turning them into textures. It was a task on its own, and overall, just to prepare the models and texture them took me around 1-2 weeks. The whole video took me around 2 months to make, mainly due to only working in the evenings after work and on weekends.

If I remember correctly, the first time I showed to Him the video to quote he said, “This is SICK man!” :smiley:

I was talking with Sudanim that I would like to make a promo video for him, and during one my Tattooing sessions with him, whilst getting my upper sleeves done, I came up with the idea, which I was super eager to bring to life ASAP, as I haven’t seen anything similar yet, so wanted to grab the chance whilst I had it!

Sudanim gave me all of the creative freedom, so all of the direction and production was made by me, from the initial concept sketch, storyboarding and the final outcome.

This was the first concept sketch I drew, that started the whole production of this promo video:

I have posted some “Behind the scenes / making of” videos on my Instagram account @rokpat.vc where You can see some of texturing in Substance Painter, prop modelling and stage setting up!

Thanks again for such awesome feedback! Greatly appreciate it!

2 Likes