[UE5] Separating Bones from Geometry Collection Destroys Entire Structure?

I created a geometry collection and am ‘hitting it’ with a masterfeild, to add an impulse.

However when bones are separated, they fall through the collection, uttterly destroying it when they hit the ground. How do I stop this?

Can I enable physics so that the collection doesn’t fall through itself?

Hi,

What do you mean by “when the bones are separated” ? Do you mean when they are breaking off ?
Would you have a video or an image describing this issue?
If it’s a collision problem you could try changing the collision setting so that the geometry collection does not collide with itself, that would prevent the cascading destruction
You could also increase the damage threshold on the geometry collection to make sure it can only be destroyed using field for example

Hope this helps

Cedric

Hi Cedric,

What collision settings dictate whether bone fragments can collide?

Below I’ve attached some old photo’s from when I was trying to convey the problem to a colleague. It provides a clean demonstration of the issue.

It might be the case that as bones separate they pass too much force into other local bones causing a cascade.

Changing the damage thresholds doesn’t prevent the cascade. Either it all breaks or none of it breaks. I’m trying to have it so there is limited, localised damage.

Impact:

Cascade:

Now I’m just running a fluid sim:

My current project with the same issue:

Settings in my current project:
Screenshot_20230302_152202

Notes:

Disabling Damage Propagation disables damage entirely. It doesn’t seem to prevent stress passing through the structure.

I find most tutorials use very simple object in their demonstrations, not buildings.

Just to say that this is an ongoing issue.

I have made changes here and there, but the entire object explodes quite reliably. Partial destruction seems to be impossible. It must be a setting somewhere?

Currently my first impact does nothing. You can see the stress field’s black skeleton behind the trees.

The subsequent impact leads to total destruction of the entire object.

Is it possible it is my stress field that is the issue?

I have switched to using the in-game Master Fields and Anchor Fields but the problem has gotten worse.

Any imported structures behave erratically and inconsistently once converted to Geometry Collections, despite having identical settings.

The only way to predict chaos destruction is to build shapes in-engine. Importing them over just seems impossible, but who builds using Unreal Engine?