UE5 Preview 2 Windows Packaging Error - Windows SDK

Is anyone else experiencing this problem or know how to fix it?
Capture2

Yes, I am. Even now with the full release. There was meant to be a fix (from reddit) but its not working for me. Here it is anyway, if you have any luck:

So when I first installed UE5 and tried to package a Windows project I was greeted with this message. If I disregarded it and clicked continue, my project would “package” instantly. Except… it didn’t. It just left me with an empty packaged game folder.

Luckily I have found a solution! So, if you’ve experienced the same or a similar issue, here’s what you need to do:

Step 1

Copy the “hostfxr.dll” file in

“C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\DotNet\Windows\host\fxr\3.1.9”

to

“C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\AutomationTool”

(important to COPY, not MOVE!)

Step 2

Install the .NET Core Desktop 3.1 Runtime (https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/d30352fe-d4f3-4203-91b9-01a3b66a802e/bb416e6573fa278fec92113abefc58b3/windowsdesktop-runtime-3.1.15-win-x64.exe)

Step 3

DONE! When you try to package your Windows project in UE5 now, the editor will still throw up that previous message and warn you in general that you do not have the proper SDK installed. Just ignore the message. This is most likely a bug. Your game will still package without any issues if you click “Continue” when the message pops up!

1 Like

That fixed my problems with Turnkey and packaging, the missing key was the .NET Core Desktop 3.1 Runtime, no idea why Visual Studio Installer didn’t installed it correctly, the only way is the manual install like you said.

Big thanks!