UE5 Preview 2: Strange shadow BUG?

Hi,

I am experiencing a strange effect with pieces of shadow that remain etched on the floor. I am attaching a video to show the problem.

The only way I’ve found to prevent this from happening is to disable the mesh shadow cast. Is this an Unreal 5 bug? With other characters I have not noticed this problem, but it seems to me something that cannot depend on the character itself, rather it would seem that this mesh emphasizes the problem (they would seem shadows of the backpack). Some idea?

I am using a 3080TI video card with updated drivers.
F.

I solved the problem by disabling the Virtual Shadow Maps.

3 Likes

We’re experiencing the same problem. Any ideas other than disabling Virtual Shadow Maps?

Had same problem with moving characters here!
Virtual Shadow Maps Cache invalidate spots to calculate lightdata again. If the Actors/Meshes Bounds Scale is too small and does not cover the whole mesh and it’s animations, Virtual Shadow Maps Cache won’t know and won’t invalidate these spots for proper light recalculation. Leading to problems like “sticking shadows” of a moving mesh for example.

Useful console command:
r.Shadow.Virtual.Cache.DrawInvalidatingBounds 1 (Shows Actor Bounds Scale)
Also useful: ViewMode (usually Lit) in Viewport → Virtual Shadow Map → Cached Page to see valid and invalid spots!

Hope it helps!

• Kyro(wo)
1 Like

Hey @IKyroI thanks for the explanation! In the meantime I also found out about this. For our project we completely disabled the caching, as we could live with the performance hit. :slight_smile:

character mesh bound scale working

3 Likes

It worked, thanks!

Well, do you guys are using physical asset on your characters? Because I added it to my new imported character and added the default mannequin physical asset. Then, the shadows just back to works well, no need disabling virtual shadow maps! Should be nice to have a technical reason for that.