UE5 power draw on engine scalability level medium and high each

Hi, I’m new to Unreal Engine and I want to know the power draw for using unreal Engine for 3d game development purposes. I’ll only be using it on high/medium scalability levels and im on a core i7 7700hq, gtx 1070 and 16gb ram (alienware 17 r4 1080p) the laptop uses a 99w battery, how long can it last. thank you in advance.

2 Likes

I don’t know specifically what the power draw is, but having used the engine on a decent laptop, I’d say ( depending on what you’re doing ) you’ve got about 1hr.

One way to really increase that time, is to turn off real-time rendering in the viewport ( CTRL-R ). That way, the screen isn’t redrawn unless you change something.

1 Like

Hey there @ACE999x! The actual power draw is going to be extremely variable between different hardware, software, and environments. If this is a stock Alienware, the manufacturer’s specs shouldn’t have power issues (almost) no matter what you hit it with since the power rating should be the maximum of the sum of it’s components plus some extra. This doesn’t account for degradation or other factors however. That said in your case, these specs are on the lower end for UE5, so make sure you have proper cooling prepared for that laptop, as well as trying to reduce all settings possible. Thermal throttling is going to be your biggest enemy in most laptops with UE.

1 Like

And you can get one of these :slight_smile: