UE5 on old pc with 1070 gtx

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is not the right category.
I’ve been playing for months with UE 4.27 and UE5EA on my old gtx 1070 ti. The UE5 with nanite and lumen runs pretty well without any kind of optimization. The avg fps stucks at 30 fps, sometimes it drops down to 12 fps (100% screen size) with lots of foliage, niagarra and megascans. I’m still very happy with the performance. I want to upgrade my gpu to an RTX 3060, 12GB so I can use my 1070 with an old pc that I have at work, which is an:

I7 950 3.07 Ghz
16 Gb RAM, DDR3 , 1333 PC3 10666
Asus P6T SE motherboard
660W Pw. source
Win 10, 64 bits
SSD

I don’t expect to have too much performance here because I’m going to use this pc to just to play around and keep learning the engine. My question is, it will work? Are there any compatible issues with the engine? Since games these days don’t use too much cpu, I expect to have similar performance. But I’m not an expert.

Thank you.

First of all, welcome to the forums! We’re so happy to have you here. :smiley:

You can find the more in depth minimum hardware requirements for UE4/UE5 here. But in short, that setup should still work. Keep in mind it may not be the smoothest experience, but if it’s for learning and not full development it should serve you well.

1 Like

I would think it should run but performance would be low. The CPU definitely matters, in 3D game engines there’s draw calls which are commands by the CPU to the GPU to render something, the number of draw calls is one of the main things to watch for performance. Also, anything that’s not part of rendering actual graphics is run on the CPU.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the replies.