UE5 Modelling tools - issues with snapping not working/breaking

Hey guys,

In need of help here. Ive been having this issue for a while now and always just got on with it, but I need to use it quite extensively today and so its causing major issues.

I regularly use the slice plane and the warp modelling tool, and as such, snapping is crucial to getting things right. I believe the key is CTRL/Shift, the official docs say CTRL but im pretty sure ive always held shift to actually snap.

The issue is, most of the time, the my mesh tools snap to the amount set in the top of my window. 45 deg, 90 deg etc. But sometimes, it just flat out stops working. It wont snap no matter what I do, new meshes, new level, restart UE5, restart the PC, different modelling tools, it will not snap.

Is this a known bug? Am I making a silly mistake, am I missing something? Why does snap just stop working at random?

Thanks very much for any help!

Hambo

I had some trouble with the plane cut tool snapping before. Make sure when rotating the plane, if you want snapping, 3 things have to be set at the top right of the viewport- 1.the globe/cube ‘transform gizmo coordinate system’ should be set to globe, 2. the angle icon “enable snapping to rotation grid” should be on, and 3. (not 100% sure about this one) the circular arrows ‘select and rotate objects’ should be on.

3 Likes

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that the global transform has to be on, not local. Thats what I must have had wrong.

I dont know why you cant snap with local rotation on, but I reckon that was the problem I was having.

Should be clarified in the docs if its not (and I dont think it is)

Cheers!

1 Like