(UE5) IK Rig Retarget with Actor Scale

Hello,

I have been playing with the new IK Rig and Retarget Asset in the hopes to mimic some functionality in Motion Builder as I would like to phase that out of our pipeline. NOTE: This is for realtime/virtual production needs so the functionality isn’t meant to be for final game animation by any means.

The Issue:
What I have been trying to do is get the hand goal of my target to match the goal of the source. This works fine when the target scale is 1, but as soon as I start to change the scale I can’t seem to get the blend to still go to the goal. Here are some pictures to demonstrate:

No Blend and scale at 1

Blend and scale at 1

With Blend but scale is at .9

The Question:
I want to be able to scale my target to any size while being able to pin the hands to source goal. I haven’t been able to find the right setting for this or if this is currently possible right now.

If it’s possible in BluePrints how can I reference the IK Rig properly. (I’m still trying to wrap my head around getting the correct references in Blueprints and can’t seem to get the position of each when I try.) Just wondering if anyone has some ideas on solutions or ways I could achieve this effect.

I don’t think that Target Actor Scale is for anything other than Previewing. I’m pretty sure that it’s only for making the actor easier to see.

Hmmm, it would seem that this might be the case, but is there any way to scale an actor and update the Retarget based on this new scale? I haven’t been able to find anything.

I mean you could try re-importing it with a different scale or find a scale that seems appropriate, export the model, then reimport it with that scale. You may also be able to change the actual scale of the actor inside the skeletal mesh settings I’m not sure on that one.

Wont work for me. This is all for virtual production. Actors coming in will always be different and I need to be able to scale my characters down to their size. I haven’t had time but I think I’ll be able to update the goal position to my source in a blueprint. I’ll try that and hopefully that works.

Did you ever figure this out? I am in the same spot.

I have an Optitrack setup and I would love to automatically scale characters in UE5 to the incoming data, which is always to the scale of the performer.

SO I Just encountered this issue myself as the scale of the target mesh was causing issues as the held weapons would not sit in the hands as its a much larger humanoid and reimporting would not have helped because any animations would also need to be re-imported with the same new scale and that’s a lot of work, if you have a lot of animations

So this I what I did
once you have your target mesh scaled to the source mesh, make a note of the scale.

Then In your actor rescale your skeletal mesh-like so,

using the scale you made a note of from the retarget.

Seems to work ok for me, so I hope this helps someone else out :slight_smile: