UE5 How can I increase UE5 editor performance when running more than one editor?

My setup is as follows: UE5 is installed on an SSD. My project is installed on another SSD. I have 128gb ram and a NVidia 3080 TI.
I am using one UE5 project as reference / staging area with Realtime set to off. I am running another UE5 project where I am actively developing.
The editor is bordering on unusable most of the time. If I turn FPS on for the project that I’m actively developing on, the FPS sits around 98 fps, but regularly dips to around 4-8 fps. As soon as I start to edit blueprints, type anything in the editor, drag nodes around, the FPS drops to about 3 to 4 FPS, everything becomes sluggish to use, there’s a huge lag on typing and I’m stumped as to why this is the case.

What can I do to get better performance?

So I forgot to turn off Realtime on the active dev project, now the editing of blueprints is much improved. However with a 10 core I7 and the other hardware in the machine, and given that the gpu and cpu use is barely registering, the real question is why is the editor so laggy if Realtime is enabled?

So the performance problems still persist. The map I’m testing has a small landscape, and showing a widget for the main menu. FPS is 3.97 when doing a play in editor. CPU use is 8% total, GPU use is 12%. If I close the other editor, the FPS is back up to over 100fps when doing a play in editor.
The performance of UE5 editor is a complete mystery.

1 Like