UE5 "GPU crashed or d3d removed" on startup

I have an RTX 2060, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core, 24 GB RAM.

I have looked up a lot of fixes and majority seem to be “turn down resolution or disable some option” but I can’t do this because it crashes on startup.

I do not have MSI afterburner or rivatuner open when launching.

I cannot verify my files as the Epic launcher will put UE5 into “download queue” and never start the process.

I was following a simple tutorial as this is my first time using UE5 and UE in general. I made some trees and a simple landscape before getting this error. I restarted UE5 and got back into it having lost some progress. It happened again about 30 minutes later and since then has been happening on startup every single time.

A lot of fixes either don’t apply to me because of my specs or don’t apply because of the situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And if there is no solution I would very much appreciate it if the source of the problem could be found and addressed!

1 Like

Ugh, same here. Do you find now that this crash has happened UE does it way more? I think it damages the program itself. Opening old scenes with no issues now crash.

If you have any tips please share. I have been working on a project for 2 months and now I can’t open it as of this week.

My problem turned out to be a Niagara system. I was using the rural Australia pack and some falling leaves particles through Niagara were causing my project to crash on startup. Once I went into the files and deleted them, it would open again.

Although, I think the real problem is something to do with VRAM, if you aren’t using Niagara in any way.