UE5 Early Access is stable but UE5.0.1 and UE5 both crash consistently on startup

When I open a project in Early Access I am able to do all activities with no problem. The latest version however ends up with this Crash Report:
LoginId:ede1eb6c4181de7c660642ac28081dde
EpicAccountId:4fc399d9c3914c0f90df40c6f5139874

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000018

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Also the logs have this Warning: LogUObjectGlobals: Warning: Failed to find object ā€˜Class None.Physicsā€™
Followed by this error: LogRHI: Error: Breadcrumbs ā€˜RHIThreadā€™
then followed by a ton of ā€œAftermathā€ errors.

[2022.04.20-05.05.26:921][379]LogRHI: Error: [Aftermath] Status: PageFault
[2022.04.20-05.05.26:922][379]LogRHI: Error: [Aftermath] Scanning 9 command lists for dumps
[2022.04.20-05.05.26:922][379]LogRHI: Error: [Aftermath] Context 0, command list 000001E697590B70, status Finished, 2 markers. Begin GPU Stack Dump
[2022.04.20-05.05.26:922][379]LogRHI: Error: [Aftermath] 0: Frame 4377
ā€¦
[2022.04.20-05.05.27:190][379]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd548deabe dxgi.dll!UnknownFunction []
[2022.04.20-05.05.27:190][379]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd548dd38d dxgi.dll!UnknownFunction []
[2022.04.20-05.05.27:190][379]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd548d15bb dxgi.dll!UnknownFunction []
[2022.04.20-05.05.27:190][379]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffcb34221d0 UnrealEditor-D3D12RHI.dll!UnknownFunction []

These issues are being experienced on a brand new PC with:

• 12th Gen Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i9-12900K, 3187 Mhz, 16 Cores(s), 24 Logical Processors
  • 32 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • AUSUS ROG MB
  • M2 Flash HDs

I have experience with both Unity and Unreal Engine and have started to use Unreal Engine due to my work at CoStar and their work with the Cavrnus. It would be great to get this fixed so that I could get the POCs done for my Arch Vis projects.

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Thatā€™sā€¦ honestly a sort of alarming call stack to me, at least at first glance. The final part there is part of the Nvidia driver package, not part of Unreal. Which is not a place Iā€™d want to see page fault errors.

That said, a quick search of the net shows that you can get a page fault in nvwgf2umx.dll with system RAM going bad; a number of folks who have that error have tried doing memory tests of both GPU and system RAM and had one or the other fail. (Hopefully the system RAMā€¦)

Beyond that, I donā€™t know if thereā€™s something in Unrealā€™s rendering setup that could cause a crash in the driver layerā€¦ but it sure looks like itā€™s handed stuff off to DXGI (and then Direct3D 12, and then the Nvidia drivers) before things go sideways.

As for ā€œif this were my computerā€ā€¦ I would probably first try uninstalling the Nvidia drivers entirely, and then installing them fresh. Just in case the solution is that simple.

1 Like

I was hoping that there was something I was simply doing wrong. And maybe the difference between the Early Access and the Current version is that it is possible the Full version comes with everything on.

I did notice that with UE 4.7 if I turned on Ray Tracing the editor would become unstable also. I checked and Ray tracing was not turned on for any of my projects with UE5 or 5.0.1.

That is great advice though, I will do a fresh install of the NVIDIA Drivers and will run a reboot full system mem test. If nothing else (cross my fingers), I can at least rule them out. After I do these steps I will update the post with what I find.

Thanks @Packetdancer for pointing that out. I really should have attempted these steps prior to the post.

Due to work, and this being my home machine, I will attempt to update in the next couple of days, or earlier if possible. =-)

2 Likes

I have a similar scenario with a project.
have latest nvidia quadro drivers for rtx2080ti 30.0.15.1215

Assertion failed: Size > 0 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Buffer.cpp] [Line: 345]

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

1 Like

I ran a full mem test and a direct x diagnostic in addition to completing a fresh install of my NVIDIA drivers.

When I test things out with the Early Access 2 version of Unreal Engine 5.0.0 everything is completely stable and I have no issue.

When running the release version of 5.0.1 I still get the same error log.

I find it odd that the Early Access is stable on my machine and the release version is not.

I will try uninstalling and re-installing the release version to see if that will fix.

The re-install was not successful in getting the release version to not crash.

I have been using the Early Access version with the new lighting and Nanite for the past few hours with no problems. Everything is working.

I can not keep the release version running more than a couple of minutes and usually less than 30 seconds. Very odd.

Thereā€™s been enough changes between EA and the release version that I would not be surprised if something is different ā€“ potentially significantly so ā€“ in the rendering pipeline.

I would be curious what happens if you make a completely fresh UE5 project and tinker with it for a bit ā€“ does it still crash, or does it stay stable? If the issue is specifically with the project, it might help to narrow it down.

Iā€™d definitely still be a bit concerned by the crash being in the Nvidia drivers rather than Unreal, though. That smacks of some deeper cause than Unreal crashing ā€“ especially since the crash you have doesnā€™t seem to be universal. :confused:

I just attempted a new project and it died within 40 seconds. Something else I am noticing with the release version is that there is this weird flickering going on with the UI components of the engine. This is something else I am not experiencing with the Early Access copy.

The attempt above was done with a blueprint project and then I attempted a C++ project with the same results. I then attempted mobile with scalable performance and that one did not even fully load the editor before a crash occurred with the same crash info.

All attempts of the same type with the Early Access were successful and stable.

I am also not 100% sold that it is definitely the Engine. It just is odd that one version is working when another is not. I also use Blender 3 which is fully stable on this system. Unreal 5 is the only app I am having an issue with keeping open. I wonder if Windows 11 could be part of the issue.

Iā€™m having the same issue and the same flickering. PC runs everything else just fine as well.

Hello , i have exactly the same issue. Flickering on UI, Windows 11 too, same crash report. Any news on this ?

1 Like

Hello,

Iā€™m having similar problems and its driving me crazy. Constant crashes. After 5 - 15 minutes.
Sort of seems to be related to Metahumans as I can work the editor fine until I use one. Then within minutes I get a d3d gpu crash.

Iā€™ve tried everything for days now. Updated GPU Drivers. Re-installed Unrealā€¦ played with LOD settingsā€¦ raytracing on and offā€¦ I use a 3090, so I dropped in my sons 2070 for a test and still did the same. Deleted all my metahumans to clear any legacy content and used only pre-setsā€¦ still the same.

I get the feeling a lot of people are having these problems from the number of people out there with ā€œFixesā€

Any new info would be greatly appreciated !

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib_x64
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
kernel32
ntdll

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

Cause:
I have found the fix to the issue. The issue is, especially if you have a newer Direct X card and are running Windows 11, the version of Direct X that comes default with the normal installation process.

How I came across the Fix:
I found the fix due to the fact that I have been a long time player of the DDO game. It was loosing players for a while and became a bit dead. I noticed that there were still updates going on so I installed and ran the game. The same issues were coming up when attempting to run that game. The Devs however had a work around that fixes the problem.

The Fix (From this Post https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/529476-Game-not-Launching):
// Beginning of part of the post
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downā€¦s.aspx?id=8109

Thats the offline direct x. Download. Run. Navigate to the folder you extracted it to. Run the .exe in there.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/dā€¦-x64-installer

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/dā€¦-x86-installer

Those are the 64bit and the 32bit versions of the dotnet 6 runtime. Try to install both of them.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/dā€¦line-installer

Thatā€™s the 4.8 net framework. Install it too.
// End of the important post part.

As @Packetdancer pointed out, the issue is not with the UE 5 editor, however it is with the Direct X Library. These steps cause the UE5.0.1 editor to be stable for me.

I hope this will help any with this issue. =-)

4 Likes

It could also be windows 11 switching to the low power intel GPU on a laptop when you open an editor window. Iā€™ve changed it to always use the NVidia GPU and havenā€™t had a crash since. Only tested it a few minutes so far but worth a try maybe.

1 Like

Huzzah! Glad you found a fix. (And even more glad, for your sake, that the cause wasnā€™t hardware failure.)

1 Like

Glad you solved your problem. I tried your solutions but I always crash as soon as I want to use the interface.

Version 4 works perfectly, I stay on it for now.

!! Second edit : i started the engine with the prompt and -d3d11 in parameter , it seems stable for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, that fixed it for me for a day but now the ASUS ROG STRIX III is freezing every 5 minutes again when opening an Unreal 5.0.1 project. It did work fine in preview. I think the -d3dll helps too but still crashes sometimes. I canā€™t see anything in the windows event viewer but I donā€™t really know what to look for.

The laptop works fine using other apps. Itā€™s definitly Unreal 5 related. I wonder if it has to do with virtual texture usage or with hardware raytracing set to support Lumen. It crashed once the exact moment I set it to use ray tracing for reflections. But then next time it was fine setting it and crashed later. Confusing.

I crash just opening a new VR template project on UE5 at the moment it loads the project and try tro preare Shaders.
Trying your -d3d11 solution is ok by nowā€¦ It is ā€œPreparing shadersā€ and seems to work properly - cross my fingersā€¦

1 Like

I too have this same mistake, UE5 Early Access is stable but the UE5 final blueprint doesnā€™t are stable.
And this is the setup, if looks like a little bit with that your have.
My setup is.
11 Th Gen IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-11400 (Cache 12 M, 2,60GHz til 4,40 GHz)
32 GB RAM.
Aorus Elite Motherbord.
Aorus WaterCooler WaterForce x240
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
1TB of Storage.
and same having this amazing setup, iā€™ma having this error, not is only me but many peoples too.

I was having this same issue. I randomly found this link https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/295646/nvwgf2umxdll-games-crash/. I was using a TV monitor as my second screen via HDMI. Once I unplugged, it stopped crashing.

1 Like