UE5 does not consider mesh when importing FBX

I have been working with a weapon viewmodel animator, who has originally rigged and animated me a whole suite of first person weapons using 3DS max for the Unity game engine. It worked fine there.

However, when I tried importing the FBX files into Unreal Engine 5 the skeletons were messed up, I kept trying different import options and eventually fixed the skeleton import issue by using the T0 as reference pose import option. After ticking that option, the arms showed up properly and the animation plays properly, however, the weapon mesh does not import. I tried every single tick box in the import options, the weapon mesh just does not want to import with the arms.

I even asked the animator to provide me with the MAYA source files so I can play around with the export settings, I tried changing the FBX versions, that did not help either.

I tried different FBX files from different authors who used maya and blender and both worked perfectly fine, it was the same setup where the arms and weapons are in the same file (arms and weapons are not separate or interchangeable).

Does anyone have any experience solving this type of issue?

I realize that the most common approach is to import weapon and arms separately, for modularity purposes, but the combined (weapons and arms together) is what I got used to over the years and it would be a shame to have all that work lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what the FBX looks like in the UE5 content browser.

As you can see the weapon mesh is not visible.

For reference, this is what it looks like in the Unity game engine. The weapon mesh is visible.

The same exact FBX file was imported into blank empty projects on both engines.

As a recap, my only issue is the weapon mesh not importing with the FBX file, the animations seem to play perfectly fine in UE5.

I would also like to mention that the weapon mesh is considered and imported by UE5 when unchecking the skeletal mesh checkbox in the import settings and importing the FBX as a static mesh as shown in this screenshot.

if it import in and donot check the skeleton maybe it do not bined with bone.
Every mesh which bined with bone will check the bone at first when import.’
so you can check the mesh that be bined with bone or not firstly’

I discussed this with the animator, he told me that he animated the mesh and not the bones themselves which probably has something to do with this, and might be why.

But unfortunately this can’t be undone unless the animator reanimates all the weapons which would be a major setback.

I will keep trying, worst case scenario I will have to start from scratch using the UE5 skeleton.

I tried creating dummy/fake bones and binding them with the weapon meshes in 3DS max, and it sort of worked. Thank you to the person who shared the info about bone binding.

Unreal Engine 5 now imports the weapon meshes as a skeletal mesh however, it imports each mesh separately, I just need to find a way to combine the weapon meshes into one without ruining the animations.

If managed to do that I would be able to apply that solution to all 20+ weapons in bulk.