UE5 Crash on MacOs Monterey When Creating Landscape ( Metal Error)

Whats Happening :
I go into Lanscape mode . I hit create button. It freezes then crashes. Everytime regardless of having an empty or lit scene or not. Also regardless if the Enable Editing layers is checked or unchecked in Landscape.

Had no previous issues with the beta and preview release of UE5. And 4.27 works fine.
Now using Unreal 5.0.1
On MacOs desktop. Monterey version 12.3.1 . Processor 1.6Ghz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 8GB memory Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
I have the newest updated version of Xcode

I do hope so much that someone can assist me with this. Thank You.

CRASH REPORT:
Fatal error: [File:/Users/build/Build/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Apple/MetalRHI/Private/MetalCommandList.cpp] [Line: 176] Command Buffer ClearBuffer(ObjectIndexNum Size=4bytes) Failed with Timeout Error! Error Domain: MTLCommandBufferErrorDomain Code: 2 Description Caused GPU Timeout Error (00000002:kIOAccelCommandBufferCallbackErrorTimeout) Unknown Unknown
ReportMetalCommandBufferFailure(mtlpp::CommandBuffer const&, char16_t const*, bool) Address = 0x156f4e8f1 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
MetalCommandBufferFailureTimeout(mtlpp::CommandBuffer const&) Address = 0x156f885ac (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
HandleMetalCommandBufferError(mtlpp::CommandBuffer const&) Address = 0x156f4d208 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
HandleIntelMetalCommandBufferError(mtlpp::CommandBuffer const&) Address = 0x156f4d155 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FMetalCommandList::HandleMetalCommandBufferFailure(mtlpp::CommandBuffer const&) Address = 0x156f4cf89 (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
invocation function for block in FMetalCommandList::Commit(mtlpp::CommandBuffer&, TArray<ns::Object<void (mtlpp::CommandBuffer const&) block_pointer, (ns::CallingConvention)1>, TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> >, bool, bool) Address = 0x156f4efce (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
invocation function for block in mtlpp::CommandBuffer::AddCompletedHandler(void (mtlpp::CommandBuffer const&) block_pointer) Address = 0x156f06eae (filename not found) [in UnrealEditor-MetalRHI.dylib]
Unknown() Address = 0x7ff81d78a7a2 (filename not found) [in Metal]

Just ran into the same crash.

me three. any work arounds/updates?

None other than I am working with 4.27 instead. I was so excited for 5.0 and the beta and preview versions worked great. It’s so disappointing. I know that unreal is geared more to windows but a Mac is what I have to work with and unable to afford a sufficient windows station at the moment. It is some runtime error with metal that I can find no assistance for yet. Sorry to hear y’all in the same boat. If you hear of a solution by all means please post that here. Thank you.

sadge, ill have to try that too - i had ok luck getting around it by opening a new level inside the Lyra Starter Game - but even without it crashing, the landmass tool doesnt work for beans. so im gonna try your workaround

I’m also facing the same issue in UE 5.0.3 version while creating landscape in macOS. Even updating the software didn’t do any good. May I know if someone can assist me with the crash issue? Thanks in advance.

Same issue on 5.1. Mac user: OS Vntura 13.1

Epic: Please support Mac users as well…

Same error here on 5.1.
Apple M1 Max. MacOS: Ventura 13.2.1