[UE5] Compiling Shaders On Every Startup

(Version 5.0.1 in MacBook Pro)

So. A couple of months ago I applied this fix:

And it worked fine, for some time. But some days ago it started to happen again, even though that parameter in ConsoleVariables.ini is still set to 0. I’m not sure why it happened again. It seems it started happening when I opened “UnrealEditor” directly instead of “Epic Games Launcher”, but I can’t see why it might be the reason, and I just don’t have time to discover it by trial and error, so there’s that. I suspect that there must be another cause (e.g. files in the DDC path had an almost zero size and I have no clue about DDC but it doesn’t look right).

Today, I applied this fix as well:

It seemed to help me to compile the shaders a bit faster in the beginning (but not a big deal). It still took me more than 3 hours to 1) open the project and 2) wait until the “Preparing Shaders” step finished.

After my project was finally ready, I saved the scene so the compiled shaders are cached as @christuusgnosis suggested here: [UE5] Compiling Shaders On Every Startup - #6 by christuusgnosis

And then I closed everything and reopened the project. Now it’s working again. I think the only really relevant action I took was just wait until everything is loaded and stable, and then save everything and restart.

I’m not happy about this. It can happen again at any time.

2 Likes