UE5 Cloth Simulation for stiff materials (leather)

Hey ! I’m having a problem I can’t manage to solve in UE5.

I want to simulate a leather cape on an animated character, and after hours of tweaking and testing, I can’t manage to get a cape that looks stiff like leather would. It always end up looking kinda like silk.
I tried with and without thickness in the mesh, changing every value in the cloth properties, tweaking the cloth painting with lower values, etc.
Surely I’m missing something but I just can’t find what it is.

Here is a screenshot (left is the animated character with cloth sim / right is the static character with the cape looking as it should)

Thanks in advance !

5 Likes

I do have the same problem :frowning: Have you found the solution yet?

1 Like

Sadly, I didn’t find any solution for the moment. I’m gonna go with a rig :confused:

1 Like

I know it’s a bit late, but for me in your case the best solution would be to use proxy mesh with lower res poly density.

1 Like

Following on from @Sanek94cool’s comment, this tutorial is pretty good for explaining how to set up cloth physics with a proxy mesh - Hair Physics LOD in Unreal Engine 4 - YouTube

The example is for hair but it can be applied to anything

1 Like

It seems like you’re having trouble simulating a stiff leather cape on your animated character in UE5. Despite numerous attempts, the cape still appears silk-like rather than stiff. You’ve tried various adjustments, including mesh thickness, cloth properties, and cloth painting, but haven’t achieved the desired result.

To address this issue, you may want to focus on adjusting the cloth simulation properties further, such as increasing stiffness, damping, and collision settings. Additionally, ensure that the cape’s material properties (e.g., roughness and specular) match those of leather.

Remember to keep experimenting and fine-tuning the settings until you achieve the desired stiff leather appearance. Good luck!