[UE5] Cloth simulation do not collide with my character physics assets

I am trying to simulate cloth but it do not collide with my character physics assets

Below are my character physics assets

and below is the painting

And below is the result. you can see the cloth do not collide with my physics assets. It seems no collision at all.

So how to make collision between my physics assets and the cloth?

Thanks

Not sure but perhaps…

1 Like

Hey there, are you sure that the physical capsules are particular Tapered Capsules, not just capsules or spheres?

You will have to add your physics asset to the mesh which simulates the cloth.

1. Open your skeletal mesh
  2. Select the part of the mesh simulating cloth
  3. In Asset Details search for Clothing ans open the clothing properties
  4. Under config, select your physics asset.
  5. Make sure the collision volumes in your physics asset are setup correctly

this dont work for me either… im not sure how to get a seperate object that uses cloth to collide with a skeletal mesh in my scene… in fact it barely collides with a static mesh … if i move it around i kinda gotta hurry and drag it into place and let it fall on a static mesh to see it … otehrwise if i move my object in the editor by hand it just kinda falls through it.

Since I do not know in detail what is going on in your project, I can only try to point you in the right direction. Here is a tutorial I found that is pretty useful if you are using Unreal Engine 4. You should generally be able to follow it even if you are using Unreal Engine 5, but there might be a few problems you might encounter. Once you have done the tutorial and then followed the instructions in my previous answer, you should be good to go. Good luck with it!

Unreal Engine Cape Tutorial
UE5 Cloth Simulation Tutorial

I am having the same issue.

I have watch the youtube videos I could find on the subject. The issue is that the skeletal mesh of the character is imported separately from the skeletal mesh clothing asset. The clothing item, which in my case is a dress, is bound to the hip bone in Maya, and then imported into unreal as a stand alone skeletal mesh asset to be attached to my character via the construction script in the character blueprint. Initially the skeletal clothing item has its own physics asset, but I set it to the physics asset of my character because I hope to simulate collision events between the chacter legs when running and the dress for example.

Collision is set up properly for character. Inside of the clothing asset for the cloth physics, under ‘asset details’ I have adjusted the collision thickness. When previewing with an animation asset, the cloth seems to move with the character. However when playing the game in editor, the characters legs are clipping through the dress.

I have tried enabling ‘collide with environment’ and ‘force update simulation’ in the details of clothing item actor component inside the character blueprint. Perhaps I’m missing a setting? Something I ovelooked? Any help is appreciated.

My solution is to change the “Clothing Simulation Factory” on the skeletal mesh component that I’m attaching my clothing to from the default value of “ClothingSimulationFactoryNv” to “ChaosClothingSimulationFactory” like so:

I’ve been using this character since UE 4.27 and I’ve upgraded to 5.2 so I’m not sure if this is an old default that persisted through but this seems to fix weirdness with collision for me.