UE5 bug when importing meshes from Blender?

Hi there!

I’ve been importing some low poly Blender meshes I made into UE5. They have baked high poly to low poly details and textures from Substance Painter. When I import the meshes into UE5 there seems to be a major issue with how light / shadows are being calculated. The meshes look fine in Unlit mode, and they look fine in Path Tracing mode, but as soon as I turn on Lit mode (I’m using Lumen), some blocky dark splotches appear in the viewport. I am desperate for a fix, this seems like a bug to me - but perhaps an expert here can guide me towards a fix?

Please help!

The Mesh should look something like this (this is how it looks in Blender)

This is how it looks in UE5 in Lit mode

UE5 Unlit mode

UE5 Path Tracing mode

this is something I’ve just experienced and fortunately for you I have the solution.

you have two materials. go into each one of them and see which has the “Two Sided” option turned on. nanite doesn’t work with two sided materials :thinking:

Only one of the materials have that option ON else the entire model will be black if both have it.

Hi and thanks so much for you input. I checked and neither of my materials has ‘two sided’ enabled - though you’re right my mesh has two materials / uv maps. However, I discovered that the blocky black splotches appear suddenly when I enable nanite, and as soon as I disable nanite they disappear! So could this be a nanite bug or am I missing something else?

Really need to resolve this. Any tips welcome. Also does anyone know if there is a way to raise a ticket with epic games if no solution presents itself?

Cheers!

I found a solution that seems to be working, so I will post it here for others to check out. It seems that when nanite is enabled sometimes you have to recalculate the normal maps with this console command:

r.RayTracing.NormalBias 5

it appears that naninte doesn’t work with certain materials features but I don’t have a list of supported options