UE5 and the CurrentQueue.Fence.D3DFence->GetCompletedValue() failed with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error

There is a periodic crash my beta testers are getting in packaged shipping build of our game.

CurrentQueue.Fence.D3DFence->GetCompletedValue() failed
at ...\D3D12Submission.cpp:939
with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

There really seems to be no pattern to when it occurs within the game. It seems to be highly dependent on the hardware/drivers the players have.

Based on a tip from Gunfire Games, we have found running a slightly older version of the AMD drivers reduces the frequency of this error by a decent amount (it still rarely happens).

-23.7.1 - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-7-1 (After installing, you may be told you need to update the drivers, choose “No”.)

I was getting it on my NVidia 3090 until I updated to drivers 536.67 - Release Date: Tue Jul 18, 2023. I’m still not getting it with the even newer 536.99 drivers. But other players with a 2060 and a GeForce RTX 3080 mobile are still getting it.

Googling this error largely just returns a collection players complaining of Remnant 2 (a UE5 game) and Unreal Editor For Fortnite having this error. There are no solid solutions being offered on any of these threads.

Has anyone else had any luck in mitigating these errors? We are close to release of our game and I hate knowing that we have an outstanding crash and I can do nothing to resolve it.

Bump!

1 Like

Bump

1 Like

bumping this to the moon!

I was in contact with some epic engineers on twitter a while ago. they directed us to make a post on UDN about it. but there is a quick fix on our end which is to change some configs.

In our case, I’m 100 percent sure it is caused by DX12 Raytracing and Niagara.

This is a temp fix for us… Happening since Unreal Engine 5.0

In DefaultEngine.ini

r.RayTracing.Geometry.NiagaraSprites=0
r.RayTracing.Geometry.NiagaraMeshes=0
r.RayTracing.Geometry.NiagaraRibbons=0

2 Likes

Bump and thanks for the tips. I had these set to zero but was still getting GPU crashes! I have a RX 6650XT which is nothing fancy from an Unreal dev standpoint but it’s all I have to work with from an indie perspective. I disabled raytracing from this same DefaultEngine.ini and was able to finally load the Lyra project without crashes.

Raytrace must be enabled in the unreal asset rendering options when using AMD GPUs in unreal 5.0 and later.

1 Like

bump. This problem still happens.

1 Like

just here to bump again

I’m also encountering this issue, I don’t think I’ve encountered it with my RTX 3080, I started getting these crashes when I switched to the GTX 1080, my initial thought was that the GPU might not be able to handle the scene, as it uses all my Video memory and ram

Try it with this cheat
r.RayTracing.SkyLight.EnableMaterials=0

this is still happening in unreal engine 5.4!
this happens on currently all systems in our company!
Many different systems. what they have in common are intel gpus and rtx cards.

What is new since 5.4 → it does not only crash the editor but freezes the whole system after a a few seconds when the crash happened.

Actually, I can find the error in the saved crash logs!

I am seeing the same issue on UE5.3 with constant crashes. Tried the config settings mentioned above but still same issue! I am using an RTX 4090 with latest drivers